Sunday, October 15, 2006

That's One Jam-Packed Weekend Of Fun!!

Happy Monday Morning to one and all! To keep things "organized", I'm gonna break tonight's blog down into three sections, and we'll start with:


I promised a re-cap, and I'm gonna deliver! Thursday night's episode had Meredith coming down with her own medical emergency - she couldn't stop barfing. What they all initially thought was pregnancy turned out to be appendicitis. I thoroughly enjoyed the scenes where Meredith was drugged up and babbling away about whatever crossed her mind. Especially entertaining was when she had McDreamy, Finn, and George all in her room, and she declared to Dr. Bailey, "All my boyfriends are here!" Fortunately, George scrubbed in on the surgery and managed not to kill her (as he almost did with the last apendectomy he performed). But that all came secondary to the main story line, because this week Meredith made her choice between Derek and Finn. And she chose....

...drum roll please...

Derek. McDreamy. Sheppard. Of course. Was there ever any doubt? Did anyone actually think she'd eventually pick Finn? Not that I would be opposed to that idea, because I love Chris O'Donnell and always have, and adding him permanently to the cast would be a dream come true for me, but for Meredith...well, Derek's her McDreamy. You don't just pass up a chance at happiness with your McDreamy. Ever.

This week was also the first episode for new Seattle Grace Attending Surgeon Dr. Mark Sloan, aka McSteamy. Wowzers, the dude is smokin'. I can't wait to see him every week on my TV screen. Naturally, his presence at the hospital was throwing everyone, particularly Addison, for a loop. If I were her, I'd be getting over it pretty quickly. The boy flew across country for her. For a booty call. And now he's staying and he wants to be with her. And Derek doesn't. So what's the problem here? If ya can't have McDreamy, there's no shame in gettin' it on with McSteamy! She's so flippin' lucky!

I know I say it every week, but I love this show. Really, really love it. And I really, really mean that. Seriously. But I'm sure you're already catching on to that one, huh?


Saturday was one of my most favourite days of the year: Quyon Lionettes Car Rally. My team consisted of Sara, Graham, Ricky and Stacy. We gathered Friday evening to get some of our car decorations ready, and then after meeting Saturday morning at Mohr's for breakfast, we returned to my place to get the Rav and ourselves all decked out. The theme this year was "Sports Around the World". After bouncing around a few ideas over the past few weeks - including one complicated scenario that had us turning Lady Linda into a Zamboni - we finally decided to go as the Canadian Winter Olympic Team on its way to Vancouver for the 2010 Games. With Sara as a figure skater, Graham as a skiier, Ricky as the curler, myself as the hockey player, and Stacy leading the way carrying the torch (because apparently there's no event for expectant moms!), we set out to win this thing.

And while on the rally route, I thought we had a darned good chance of doing just that. I had a hissy fit before we even left the parking lot when my kilometer counter thingy wouldn't re-set, but I calmed myself down, re-grouped, then we headed to my place where we collected most of the items for our scavenger hunt. We proceeded on, following the directions and finding the answers to the questions. The biggest challenges seemed to be hunting for the six clues we periodically came across. We finally abandoned the first one (as did most teams), and it took forever to find the second one. It ended up being the Original 6 NHL Teams, and we didn't even need the stupid little pieces of paper we made sure to collect and protect...arghhhh!

Aside from that, we didn't spend a whole lot of time at any particular question, and in most cases the answer was quite obvious...or so we thought. In retrospect, I think I underestimated the guys who coordinated the rally route, and I didn't believe they'd be into any trickery. As it turns out, they did many little things to throw our answers off, so in the end, we were actually one of the middle-of-the-pack teams, much to our chagrin. And of course, to rub salt in the wound, my mom, Luke, Kara, Chris and Kristen, who claimed to have done poorly in their answers, wound up in second place. Overall, though, we kept our arguing in the Rav to a minimum, and I think we could all agree that we had a blast! Graham was the rookie of our team, and he proved to be a strong member - we'll definitely do better next year!

Following dinner and the revealing of the answers, we went to Stacy and Ricky's to watch the hockey game. Which game, do you ask? Well, that's a tough one, as Ricky's Penguins, Graham's Leafs, and my Sens were all playing on different channels. With Pittsburgh down and out early in their game, Ricky basically flipped back and forth between the Toronto game and the Ottawa game for Graham and I. I had to sit through listening to the two boys running my Sens into the ground and making fun of me, and I almost cried a few times because I don't have a thick skin, and no, I can't take it. I'm a big baby about this kind of stuff. I know it, and I don't like it, but that's just the way I'm made. But I did manage to keep it together. Okay, so maybe I had one scuffle with Ricky over the remote when I thought I wasn't going to get to see the shoot-out, and Stacy and Sara were probably afraid that I was going to claw both of the boys' eyes out or something, but we emerged all friends at the end. (I think. I hope.) The Penguins lost, naturally, but the Leafs won in OT (who cares?) and the Sens defeated Montreal in a shoot-out (YAY, Antoine Vermette and Mike Fisher!)

As the late Ada Daley would have written in the Equity's Quyon Notes, a good time was had by all!


My baby boy is growing up!

I still can't believe that it's been a year since Kara and Chris brought my little nephew into the world. Gosh, it's gone by fast. Saturday, October 14th, was officially one year for Caden Christopher Provost, and today Kara and Chris had both sides of the family to their place at noon for Caden's first birthday party.

Before I get into that, though, I must tell you this - yesterday, while out on Car Rally, I missed two big "firsts". In one afternoon. Unbelievable! Caden, who is turning into a real little parrot, actually uttered his first phrase: "Oh dear!" Now how cute is that?? And then he took his first real steps! (Last weekend, he was saying "yuck" and walking two or three steps between people, but somehow "Oh dear" and the fact that he was literally racing across the living room seem so much more important!) Of course, I got to hear him saying "Oh dear" and watch him do his speedwalk today, but I was disappointed I missed out the first time.

In any case, the party was a huge hit, and Caden was on his best behaviour. All of his aunts, uncles, grandparents, Great-Grandma, and even a few great-aunts and -uncles were there to celebrate with him. He smiled and clapped when we sang happy birthday to him, and he loved smashing his teddy bear cake all over his face. (He even ate some of it too, but apparently he's not a fan of icing, as those bites were spit back out all over the place). He was also pretty good at opening presents, considering the attention span of a one-year-old is not usually that strong. He opened almost all of them himself, with some help from Mommy and cousin Madison, and he even learned pretty quick to chuck the cards at Mommy to open. (Cards - and even the money inside the odd one - don't mean much until your well past age 10!!) In most cases, the tissue paper in the bags proved to be more entertaining than the gift inside, but he did spend a lot of time playing with his new tractor and farm animals from his Grandma Provost, and we all had fun sitting around and watching him.

I still can't believe he's already one. Where has the past year gone? I can't wait to see all that he's going to learn in the year to come. If one afternoon brought "Oh Dear" and walking, who knows what could come next??

So that about puts a wrap on the weekend re-cap. I hope everyone had a great weekend, and be sure to tune tune in Tuesday for my thoughts on tonight's episode of the Amazing Race!


Stacy said...

Good Morning All,
Car Rally was really good this year - and it took us about 5 1/2 hours i guess and Jill is right, the hardest part was looking for the papers. Next year, we will get out more often for sure. I will have to book a babysitter for that day as soon as she is born. haha! I told Ricky that I will not miss Car Rally because i have a baby and he said well no - bring her and I said better idea, you can stay home with her...haha so hopefully Grandma and Grandpa will be able to sit that day, but that's not for another
It wasnt all that bad weather either, it rained a bit, it hailed at the Old Oak Tree and then we had a sun shower - then it poured again for like 5 was a bit chilly but running around in and out of the Rav made everyone stay warm. I will not discuss the hockey game watching at my place and well Ricky was over the toilet bowl puking up his chili so we skipped Gavans. How was it? How was Graham feeling? I can't believe Caden is one too. How did Kara do I wonder going back to work today? I guess it will be soon enough and I'll know the feeling...haha well I won't be going back to work until January 2008 so I still have some time.
Anyways I am extremely busy today, so I will talk to ya'll later!

Priscilla said...

Glad you had a good weekend Jill. Friday night I got to play and cuddle with Cody. Saturday night we watched horse racing with Chad's dad before the UFC pay-per-view came on. Usually I fall asleep during these fight nights, but this time I managed to stay awake. Frank (Rich Franklin, I call him Frank) lost his belt. He was unbeaten in his UFC career until Saturday night. He didn't look right and his wife was crying before he got in the ring, so Chad is sure he was hurt or something. It didn't take long for the fight to be over, in the end his nose looked like this <. It was broken and gross looking. The fight before, one guy got a cut in his head from the other guy's elbow, and he bled the whole time, it was just pouring out of his head. The fight went for the full 5 five minute rounds, and he won in the end. But there was blood all over the mat and it was on the other guys face and all over their chests. Pretty gross, but that's what the fans seem to like. Sorry I don't know any of the names of these lads, just Frank. But I'm sure most of you reading this really care about UFC. Last night we tried a new recipe for supper, it seemed to go over well. And I guess that's all from me.

Jill said...

Hi guys!
Stacy: Gavan's was pretty busy, but there was a different crowd. There were a lot of people from Shawville there for some reason. (I think a few of them were there for a bachelor party). Also, there were a lot of people from the Rally, of course. When we first got there, Graham went and got us all drinks, and then he got us more drinks, and then all of a sudden he decided he wanted to go and I think I heard him telling Sara on our way out that he was going to puke. Right after we got there, I thought I was going to puke too - not from drinking, I don't think, but I broke out in a sweat and my whole abdomen felt like it was on fire. Very strange. But it passed, so I was fine, but by the time Graham decided he wanted to leave, I was ready for bed anyways. As usual, my husband wasn't there, so there was no point. All in all, a fun day, though!
PK: Sounds like you actually enjoy that UFC stuff! I've never watched it, but I've heard Sara talking about it before. I think seeing all that blood would turn me off. What was the new recipe you tried for supper? I'm really hungry today. Probably because I ate too much all weekend, so my stomach grew and it wants more food than I'm giving it today. Sorry, tummy, but things are back to normal today! haha..
Anyways, hope you're all having a lovely day!

Priscilla said...

I think it was called hamburger pie. You brown hamburger meat and onion, then you mix in green beans, but we didn't have any so my mom put in yellow beans and peas. You put it in the bottom of a casserole and then you put mashed potatoes in mounds on the top and sprinkle it with shredded cheese. Then you bake it for half an hour. About UFC, I wouldn't call myself a fan since I don't even know most of their names, but the blood doesn't bother me. It did at first a bit, but I guess I got over it. I don't like looking at arm bars or whatever they're called, the arm looks like it's going to pop off. Then of course it gives Chad ideas and he has to practice them on me. It's like not letting your kids watch Power Rangers. But I can't stop him from watching UFC. Have you been to Curves lately? If you have you know about the Sens ticket draw?

Jill said...

Oh, I can tell Hamburger Pie would not be my favourite - sounds too much like Shepherd's Pie. As a pasta fan, I can never figure out why Mom puts good hamburger into something like that when she could make spaghetti sauce or lasagna...haha! To each his own, I guess. And yeah, I've been to Curves, and I've already started my pop can tab collection. I'd love to go to a Sens game again and sit in those seats! ;o)

Sharon said...

Well my weekend wasn't 1/2 as exciting as everyone elses... Saturday I worked and when I got home I did some work outside. It was nice to be out in the cool crispt air. I did laundry and chatted with Linda. Watched part of the hockey game and then watched Lucky Number Slevin. I fell asleep about 30 minutes in, I was beat. But Wayne told me about it yesterday and it sounded not too bad. Sunday I got up early, cleaned my house, did dishes, made some cookies for my lunches. Then I finally tried my DeLonghi fancy coffee/Cappucino/Espresso maker... it was great, everything worked out fine!!!! Now I just have to get up early enough to have one in the morning... that may take some training! Had dinner with the in-laws and then spent the night in watching TV with Wayne. He took the night off. I attempted to wash my car but it was getting dusk and today it looks crappy, I missed quite a few spots. So word to the wise, do not wash the car at dusk!
So that's all for my weekend! I did groceries at lunch so I don't have to worry about it after work, but I do have to stop at Jean Marcs and as him if my car needs brakes and roters or just brakes... it's making an AWFUL sound all the time! I sound like a clunker coming down the road.

Toodles for now!

Sara said...

hi Guys
I am dead tired from our exciting week-end. I almost fell asleep at nap time today at work. Graham got us home in one piece...he didn't feel too great yesterday morning but he came around after awhile.
That's really exciting news about Caden! Now he will just spit out words and things all the time probably. He's getting to the "fun" age.
PK- I am wondering if I saw a fight like the one you saw with all the blood... did the guy have white /blond hair? that one was GROSS. I usually don't mind the little bit of blood you usually see, but that one was yucky... both guys were covered in it. I can't believe Rich Franklin lost his belt...he was pretty confident last week when I saw him on a UFC marathon.. he kept saying that no one could beat him.. blah.. blah.
Well I have many things I need to do so I better go.