Wednesday, March 20, 2013

WWTKW: I know it’s only rock ‘n roll, but I like it…

“Music is God’s bones creaking pleasure, amusement, even occasional approval…”

I remember my friend Priscilla sharing this quote with me when we were in high school.  I’m not sure, but I think it’s from Billy Corgan from the Smashing Pumpkins.  The words have stayed with me over the years, and it was the first thing that came to mind when I realized this week’s We Want to Know Wednesday Q&A is all about one of my most favourite things in the world… music.

WWTKbutton-1-1_zps2077872a

Linking up with Scriptor and Kenzie today! :)

The questions:

1.) What was the last song you listened to?

2.) If you had to choose one (ok, or two) all time favorite band(s/artist(s), who would it be and why?

3.) What is the first concert/show you ever went to? What was the best and why?

4.) Why type of music gets you out of a slump?

5.) Do you let your kids listen to any kind of music or limit them to kid stuff? (If you don’t have kids, would you?)

My answers:

1.) What was the last song you listened to?  I’ve got a mixed CD playing in my car right now, and the last song that came on before I pulled into work was “Hard Sun” by Eddie Vedder.

2.) If you had to choose one (ok, or two) all time favorite band(s/artist(s), who would it be and why?  Oh my gosh, that’s almost impossible.  … But I’ve always considered The Tragically Hip one of my all-time favourites, so I think I’ll go with them.  Good Canadian lads with a vast & epic catalogue of songs and albums… one of our country’s greatest treasures.

The-Tragically-Hip-tth1

3.) What is the first concert/show you ever went to? What was the best and why?  Appropriately coinciding with my answer to #2, my very first concert was The Tragically Hip in Ottawa.  I think I was in Grade 10, my sister got me tickets and I brought Priscilla with me!  (PKB, you’ve clearly been a musical influence on me over the years!!!) – I saw The Hip again in Toronto at the ACC several years ago, and I’m going to see them again this summer at Bluesfest!  They’re amazing!

To pick a best concert… Well, that’s pretty tough.  I honestly don’t think I’ve been to a concert that I didn’t really love… Brad Paisley, Keith Urban, Our Lady Peace, Kenny Chesney, Bon Jovi, Blue Rodeo, Chad Brownlee & Dallas Smith, Kid Rock, AC/DC (just to name a few)…  But that first Hip concert was pretty incredible, and I remember my brother-in-law saying afterwards that it would be a hard one to top. 

4.) Why type of music gets you out of a slump?  Pretty much anything that I can dance around to or that makes me smile!  I like all different genres.  One of my favourites to listen to when I need a little pick-me-up, though, is Bob Marley.  It’s just really hard to stay down when you’re listening to reggae, y’know? :)

5.) Do you let your kids listen to any kind of music or limit them to kid stuff? (If you don’t have kids, would you?)  heh… This is kind of a funny question, I was just thinking about it not long ago.  I don’t have children, but if I did… While I don’t think I’d restrict them to “kid stuff”, I’m sure I would censor the music I listen to around them, at least a little bit.  That being said… when Brittany & Cowan were little and I used to take them on trips to the movies, they used to LOVE it when I let them listen to the song “Who the F*ck is Alice?” – but I always made them promise not to tell their mom! haha! (hi Brenda!)

A few weeks ago, I took now-teenaged-Cowan with me on a trip to the movies with my 7-year-old-nephew Caden and his little buddy Brodee.  I left the boys in the car when I ran into Wal-Mart, and while I was in there, Cowan was going through my CDs and landed on one that was a mostly country mix.  I didn’t realize it until after, but the first song on the disc he’d put in was “Come Pick Me Up” (Zac Brown Band’s version), and when I was listening to it, I realized one of the line’s was kiiinda inappropriate for the little boys in the car.  I have no idea if they actually heard it – there’s a good chance Cowan had changed the song before it got to that particular line – but I would have been jumping to the next song pretty quickly if I’d been there! haha!

At the end of the day, I definitely don’t think I’d limit my kids to “just kiddie songs” – I’d want to infuse them with the music I love, too – but I’d probably be a little cautious about what I was letting them listen to.

Wow.  A whole post without mentioning you-know-what.  Apparently this has been a great diversion, because now I just want to put on my iPod and listen to great music all day long!! 

Happy Wednesday, friends!! :)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes! Bob Marley is a great mood booster. Thanks for linking up.

Janette @ The Johanson Journey said...

Very fun post! I have my kids listening to anything I listen to-- My son loves Party Rock by LMFAO and Gangnam Style-- and a few other top 40 hits- the kid stuff is for school I think.. My favorite band... that is such a hard question! I can't even name one! I like too many!
Hugs!

Jillian said...

I think I would monitor my kids music but not limit them. But as a child of eight I had to listen to eminem cause that's what was playing in the car (my stepsibs basically controlled the music). So yeah I'm gonna be a bit strict on music but I'm also gonna introduce my kids to the music I love. I'm not sure who my favorite band is but I sure do love hedley!

Nicole said...

yup, it's official... I'm uncool! Someone come and claim my itunes account now and make me hip!

Stacie said...

Eddie Vedder is way better than the Taylor Swift running through my brain...

Anonymous said...

Bob Marley is a great mood booster!
I don't monitor what I let my son listen to, as long as it isn't a song like Rehab's "I like to Cuss" song ha ha!!

Sheena said...

I love that your posted "Ahead By A Century" for The Hip -- that's my favourite one of theirs. :)

Jolene said...

You have been to a lot of great concerts. :)

Kristine said...

Pearl Jam was one of the BEST concerts I've been to. Great music choices!!

Mrs. Match said...

I love Bob Marley, and I'm not even that big of a reggae fan. There's just something about him in particular.
I don't really want to play a lot of kiddy music to Piglet, mostly because I find it annoying. So I hope to find songs that don't have swear words or tons of sex driven lyrics and just play that. When I was a kid I listened to a lot of oldies with my mom and we'd dance around the living room. :-)