Monday, November 12, 2012

The Weekend Rundown & Musical Monday (More Dallas Smith, of course)

Ahhh, what a wonderful weekend that was – I ate out or had take-out for pretty much every meal, I started to get a little bit in the Christmas spirit, and I spent a lot of time with vampires, werewolves, and wine.  Really… is there any reason to complain?!

Friday evening, my mom and I headed out to my nephew Caden’s hockey game.  We were super-impressed at how far he has come on the ice, and it was great to be back in a chilly rink and watching little guys skate their butts off.  I don’t think I’ve done that since my brother played minor hockey.  (And towards the end of that, he wasn’t so much a “little guy” anymore!!)

After the game was over, we all went out to Gabriel’s for supper, and then Mom & I stopped in to visit my brother, who was “babysitting” his daughter.  (Also called “parenting”, but whatever.)

Neve 5

Saturday morning, I lazed around with coffee, watched episodes of LOST, and went for a brisk walk before getting ready to go to the Onslow School Christmas Craft & Bake sale.  I went into the school with $60, and came out without a penny!  My favourite purchase was a toll-painted snowman which says “Fat Snowmen Last Longer” – it just called out to me, and I couldn’t resist him!!  He was perfect for me!!  I also bought some of my friends’ crafts and ornaments, some baked goods, and I picked up two books at the Used Book Sale table - “The Girl Who Played With Fire” and “The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet’s Nest” by Stieg Larsson.  I was thrilled to pick them up for $2/each, as I’ve been wanting to read them ever since I read “The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo” this past summer!

millennium-series

Mom and I had some errands to run in Shawville, so we stopped for a bite at Cafe 349, and then I came home and began my “Twilight Movie Marathon”.  My friend Brenda joined me later on, and we ordered a pizza to be delivered.  That turned into a bit of a debacle, as an accident on the highway prevented the pizza man from delivering it right away – we ended up having to wait a few hours, but that was OK because we had wine, and the pizza turned out to be delicious, even though it was a little on the cold side…

Yesterday morning, we had a beautiful, touching Remembrance Day service at church, where our minister Nancy had members of the church bring in mementos from war times, and several people had stories to share of family members who had fought in either World War I or II.  My Aunt Mona had brought in a telegram that her aunt had received in 1945 to tell her that her brother had been injured by shrapnel to the head.  I can’t even imagine what it must have been like to get a telegram like that… I spent a lot of time thinking about & being grateful for the men & women who served and are still serving for our country.  Lest we forget.

After church, Mom and I went to the local restaurant for brunch, but before we got our orders, the power went out!  So we finished our coffees, then decided to go to Norway Bay for brunch there.  It was delicious.  Upon returning home, we discovered the power was still out, so we read and napped until it came back on.  After supper, Mom tried to teach me how to play Euchre since I’m supposed to be playing in a tournament this coming Saturday, and I have, like, ZERO experience.  It also didn’t help that my teacher hadn’t played a hand of Euchre in probably 20 years. haha!  SO.  I think I’ve got the basics down, and with a few more lessons this week, I should be good to go on Saturday for my first time participating in the annual Hobbs Euchre Tournament.  God help my partner Lindsay, I hope she has lots of patience. ;)

Euchre-Tournament

I’ve got a busy and exciting week ahead – a Scentsy party at my mom’s place tomorrow, and then Breaking Dawn Part 2 on Thursday, with a day off on Friday and then the Euchre tourney on Saturday, so I’m super-pumped!

But first… let’s take a Musical Monday break, shall we?  My love affair with Dallas Smith continues, and this has quickly become one of my favourites off his new album.  I want to learn to play it on my own guitar.  I LOVE this one.

Somebody Somewhere by Dallas Smith

Sometimes you don’t know what you got until it’s gone
Sometimes it’s hard to believe I could have been that wrong
And I finally figured it out as she was driving away
And now I’m living with the fact that out there today

Chorus:
Somebody somewhere is saying those things I know I should have said
Somebody somewhere ain’t gonna let her go quite as easy as I did
I hope that she’s happy as much as it hurts me to see it all go down from here
Ya there’s somebody out there holding my somebody somewhere

Took some time but I get along fine all by myself
And looking around but I still haven’t found anybody else
Sometimes I let myself wonder what she’s doing right now
Even though I know there’s a pretty good chance
That she’s already found

(Chorus)

Maybe on a beach in Mexico
Maybe parked in the shade on an old dirt road
Ya I don’t know
I don’t wanna know

I hope that she’s happy
As much as it hurts me to see it all go down from here
Ya there’s somebody out there
Oh there’s somebody out there
Ya there’s somebody out there holding my somebody somewhere
Somebody somewhere

***

It has become my mission in life (or at least my mission of the week) to introduce everyone I know to Dallas and make them love him as much as I do.  Just watch the video.  Then download him off iTunes.  You won’t regret it, I promise.  He’s amazeballs.

Linking up with My So-Called Chaos for Musical Monday.

musicalmondays

8 comments:

VandyJ said...

Busy weekend. But a very cute baby!

Nicole said...

we got my mom that book series. I heard the first one is kind of slow but good.... Boy I wish I could sit down and read like all you gals out here in bloggy land!

Mind Of Mine said...

What is a scentsy party?

Miss Angie said...

Thanks for linking up! :)

Tiffany said...

What a great song!! I've never heard of Dallas Smith, but I love this!

~Tiffany
http://tiffanyd22.blogspot.com

Connie said...

WOW you are a busy girl!

What's with the power being out?

I love the lyrics to that song!

Nancy said...

Nothing like a country and western song to make me feel blue, jeez, Jill, now I am feeling so badly for anyone who ever let a loved one get away. Thanks for your comment about our service, it was the first time in years that I didn't feel like just crying my way through it! For me the change is not having the slideshow of our dead Afghanistan vets rolling as I preached. I still get weepy feelings, but have more optimism this year.

Unknown said...

I never saw that pic! CUTE. Of course I think so...