Monday, April 18, 2016

Time to Re-focus...

Well, folks... it's been a long time since I've talked about this seriously, and that's because I wasn't ready to be serious about it again.

But it's time.

I need to get back on track with a healthy lifestyle.  I need to get my eating habits back under control.

Same old song & dance.  I know you've all heard this before.  But I've been on a slippery slope heading the wrong direction since last fall, and it is alarming how quickly I've slid back into my old ways.  Eating junk food all the time, chips and treats on a regular basis, eating out several times a week... clothes getting tighter, sizes going up, and it's starting to scare me.

During these recent months of stress-and-comfort-eating, I have said many times that I knew the day would come when I would decide to smarten up.  I would have a "moment".  That moment came last week when a clothing order had placed on line arrived in the mail, and I was very disappointed in how the items fit.  Pants that I thought were a slam-dunk were too tight.  A sweater that was too snug.  A tank top that showed off flabby arms and made me want to cry.

It opened my eyes in alarming fashion to the fact that none of my summer clothes are going to fit.  I have jumped two sizes since last summer, and this past winter I packed up and gave away bags of clothing in the size I will probably need, because I swore I wouldn't ever go back to them again.

You guys, I don't need to be stick thin.  In fact, I don't want to be obsessed with working out and calorie counting the way I was two years ago.  I want to find a healthy balance.  I have maintained working out for the most part (albeit less intense exercising), but it's time to bring the healthy eating back into the program and get things leveled out again.  I am a living, breathing example of how all the exercising in the world won't do a lick of good if you aren't combining it with healthy eating habits.

I decided to set a few small-ish goals to stick to this week. My plan is to re-visit this list and hopefully be able to check most - if not all - of my goals off as a success, and then come up with a new set of goals, or expand upon this list, next week.

My goals this week:
  • Continue exercising for 30 mins every morning (Walk at Home, 21 Day Fix, Jillian Michaels, etc. DVDs) + 10 min walk at lunch, but ADD IN at least 20 mins of exercise at night (walk, or 20 min Ab DVD) = 1 hour exercise per day, 6 days a week.
  • Set a healthy meal plan for the week and stick to it - don't allow my arm to be twisted with unplanned treats!
  • Plan the treats ahead of time and enjoy them:  this week, it will be dinner out Wednesday night, 1 ice cream treat this weekend, and lunch at the Poker tourney on Saturday.  Otherwise, stick to the meal plan, or have small portions/healthy options (ie, Friday lunch, if they decide to order out at work, brunch at the restaurant after church Sunday, etc.).
  • Continue drinking tons of water.  2 glasses of water first thing in the AM, 1 glass of water per hour at work, plus extra in the evening = 12 glasses of water/day.
  • No alcohol at Poker tourney on Saturday.
  • Cut out sugar and sweets as much as possible.  Start using fruit and Yonanas again as a "sweet treat".
  • No more evening snacking.  Make a cup of herbal tea if the snack cravings hit.
  • Try to cut the habit of falling asleep on the couch watching TV in the evening.  Keep moving to avoid falling asleep, and go to bed earlier if I discover I am falling asleep on the couch.
  • Read 10 pages a day of a book (I know, this has nothing to do with losing weight and getting healthy, but I'm disappointed in myself for not reading more lately.  We'll consider this a "personal development goal".)
  • Only weigh myself once per week.
Like I said, the MAIN goal is to find a healthy balance and avoid obsessing on every minute detail... a lot of healthy habits are still common practice for me - I have a good base to work with - but the main falter in my course was losing control of eating healthy foods and portions.  I think if I can get that back in check, I'll be OK.

It's time to take charge of my own personal well-being again.  It's too easy to fall into the trap of making excuses, letting things I have no control over affect me, losing focus.

If all goes well, I should be feeling much better in a few weeks.  I hate feeling discouraged, sluggish, out of shape, tired, and all-around blue.  I can change that with a few simple actions and a little self-control and willpower.

Here we go again...!!

3 comments:

Nancy said...

Great post, Jillian. The chips were calling my name, but I cut up some cucumber instead.

Amanda said...

12 glasses of water per day!!! That's crazy insane in a good way.. I have a hard time drinking 2 glasses a day.

Annsterw said...

Good for you! I am refocusing too! We can keep each other accountable!
Annster's Domain