Monday, October 20, 2014

I’m alive & well. Sorta.

Everyone knows that a stressful week + Jill = nothing good.  Hence, my absence last week.  I was wound up tighter than a bobbin, with my mind bouncing around like crazy, and no good blog posts could come of that.

It was the week before Car Rally.  My team won the Rally last year (unfortunately), which meant that we had the job of planning this year’s route and questions.  It’s a big job.  We’ve literally been working on it for a whole year.  And with the big day finally on the horizon, I was worrying, second-guessing, and stressing over every little detail.

On top of all that, we had a rough day last week when we received word that one of my sister’s best friends, Virginia, was trekking the Annapurna trail in the mountains of Nepal when the blizzard and avalanche hit, and she and her friend were initially unaccounted for.  I spent the day glued to Twitter, Facebook, and every news website I could find to keep updated, praying for their safety and hoping we’d hear good news.  That word finally came in the middle of the night Wednesday – Virginia was finally able to contact her family and post to Facebook and that she and her friend were safe and sound, and would be turning back as soon as it was clear to do so.  Thank God for answered prayers!

With that stress eased, I was back in Car Rally mode.  We had everything ready for the big day, and Saturday finally arrived.  Our theme was “Celebrating 2014”. I was such a big jangling ball of nerves by that day.  I swear, I don’t think I could ever get married.  I don’t handle these big events very well!

It was a pretty crappy day weather-wise, but we still had a strong turnout, with 59 cars registered and departing every five minutes all day long.  They followed our route, searching for clues and answering questions about holidays and special events during the year.  We had a fun day sending everybody off, then marking their answers when they returned.  I was so thankful to be with my friends – I honestly wouldn’t have done it with anyone else!  I think we worked really well together, and hopefully everyone enjoyed our Rally.  We had lots of positive feedback, so that made us feel good!

At the end of the day, it was a group of women that had won the Rally a few years back that won ours as well, and we are excited to see what they have in store for us next year.  We really enjoyed the last Rally they planned, so I’m already looking forward to being back in it next year!

Will we win?  Hell to the no.  Never again!  Once was enough for us! haha!

Half-way through the day Saturday, I realized my throat was starting to get sore.  Yesterday was spent pretty low-key, as I tried to fight off the sickness.  I’m still not feeling wonderful today, though the cold has never really developed.  I’m just feeling tired and achy, and I’m anxious to get home to the couch tonight!

Hope you all had a fantastic weekend!


Anonymous said...

It's definitely that time of year when sickness comes and goes. It took me a good week to get over what I had and normally, I'm about a day to two for these things. Hope you feel better soon.

Stacy said...

i blame the sore throats on the room we were in and the rat poison hanging around....3 out of 5 of us are sick!! haha

Stacie said...

I would love a date with my couch, hoping you feel better and we both get our wish!

Nicole said...

So I'm still interested in this whole car rally thing.