Friday, December 04, 2009

Do I Have to Pick a Team?

I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen a movie more than once in theatres.

40 Days and 40 Nights, during my massive obsession on Josh Hartnett. American Pie 2, because during my high school/college years, there was nothing cooler or more funny than the first few American Pie flicks. And PS, I Love You, because seriously, who wouldn't want to go see Gerard Butler AND Jeffrey Dean Morgan - in the same movie - more than once on the big-screen?!

I think that's it. Until this week. Wednesday night, I went to see New Moon for the second time in two weeks. Allow me to indulge the 14-year-old girl inside of me with yet another Twilight blog, folks. 'Cause as silly as it is, this latest installment in the film version of Stephenie Meyer's vampire love story has thrust me into one hell of a dilemma.

Am I Team Edward or Team Jacob?

After reading the books, I was 100% Team Edward. In fact, I found Jacob annoying, always hanging around, always trying to lure her away from the cold, dead, sparkly sexiness. Sure, Jake was sweet and protective - but he was just a kid (or a puppy, if you will...) Edward was perfection.

Then came the first film, in which Jacob actually only had a very small role. Of course, he was cute & charming, but the long black hair? Ick. No attraction whatsoever. I still was a full-fledged, card-carrying member of Team Edward.

Next came my first viewing of New Moon. All of a sudden, Jake was lookin' all grown up (despite the fact that his character is still only 16 years old), with short hair, and as I drooled about in my "20 Things to Love about New Moon" Blog, the boy got buff. And I mean buff. And he hardly wore a shirt. Like, ever.

I came away from the movie still very much an Edward fan, but starting to see why Jacob had so many giddy girls lusting after him.

And then came Round 2. I went with Lindsay, who had already pretty much declared herself Team Jacob. I went into the theatre pretty determined to stick up for my Edward, even already knowing how I would be left a little breathless the first time Jacob peeled off his shirt. And every time he appeared shirtless thereafter.

But it's just so hard to stick by Edward when, throughout most of the movie, it's all about Jacob. He's the one who's there for Bella when Edward abandons her. He's the one who protects her from evil vampires Laurent and Victoria. He's the one who runs around in the rain wearing only cut-off jeans.
Edward might be cold and sparkly and beautiful, but Jacob is the one who is warm and ruggedly-handsome.
And all of this babbling about the werewolf boy is so so soooo wrong because the kid is only 17. I'm old enough to have been his baby-sitter. Eeeeek.

I feel rather unfaithful to Edward, but I'm starting to think I can't pick a team. Edward vs. Jacob - why do I have to choose? This isn't a Sens vs. Leafs thing, is it? Just because I adore one doesn't mean I can't adore the other...

I can't make up my mind.

So for now, I've decided to set up camp in Switzerland. It's lovely here.

Here, it's okay to love them both. ;)

11 comments:

Stacy said...

i dont love either of them so you can love one for me and one for yourself Jill!

Jill said...

hahaha...Stace, I really need to somehow convince you to get on this Twilight wagon. You really should try reading it again...lol.

Enjo said...

You make a good point Jill! I say it is ok to love both!

Sharon said...

Switzerland... that was by far the funniest thing I read! Good job at making me crack a smile : )

Lindsay said...

Go Team Jacob!! woo hoo!! I think in general Jill there is just too much monster sexist for any girl to make a decision!!

Stacy said...

Whats with Switzerland anyways?? is that where this is set or something?? is that where the vampires hang out?

Jill said...

haha, no the vampires don't hang out in Switzerland - Switzerland is considered a "neutral" country, historically able to keep out of wars, etc, and doesn't take sides. So I'm neutral. I can't pick between Edward & Jacob. I'm in Switzerland. ;)

Anonymous said...

wow Jill...
your bolg and following posts keep the older generation up to date with current hype's and give the "ahem" younger generation a history lesson......such a valuable service you provide to your readers
Well done!!

Anonymous said...

whoops......sorry, forgot I was anonymous!!
lol

Ashley said...

LOVE this blog Jill, you always crack me up. Personally, the book Edward I love, the movie Edward not so much. I haven't yet watched New Moon (but plan to soon) and I already know that I am Team Jacob...mmmmmm...I feel like a pedophile, but mmmmm!

Jill said...

haha Ashley! If you feel like a pedophile, I'm thinking there must be a lot of women our age (and older!) who feel the same way!! Ooohhhh Jacob... :)