Friday, September 28, 2018

Friday Five: Happy Fall!

Five things I've got on my mind as we roll into the last quiet weekend for a while:

  1. I really want to soak up this weekend.  Don't get me wrong - everything that is coming up is FUN and I am super pumped about all of it - but literally every weekend in October has filled up.  To the point where I'm worrying about finding the time to do the fall things I love, like baking pumpkin stuff and watching sorta-scary things.  But I seriously cannot complain - Thanksgiving?  A Haunted House? Car Rally? Scary Movie Marathon?  I love EVERYTHING about these events.  I will find the time to do the other stuff.  And I will enjoy this last weekend of lounging, relaxing, and enjoying the beginning of my very favourite time of year.
  2. So what is on tap for this quiet weekend?  I'm crashing Sam's Movie Night in Beechgrove tonight to watch The Mighty Ducks with him, which I'm very much looking forward to.  Tomorrow morning, I'm taking some family photos for my friend Caryl, and then returning to my home to cozy up for the rest of the day.  I'm hoping to make it my Fall Movie Marathon Weekend!  Remember a while back, when I said I'd picked up a few movies from another blogger's fall movie list?  So I have Sleepless in Seattle on Netflix, and You've Got Mail and When Harry Met Sally on DVD.  Also, I may possibly watch Dead Poet's Society too.  These movies will be spread out between Saturday and Sunday.  In between movies, I may bake some cookies if the spirit moves me. And there will be crocheting and coffee with Pumpkin Spice Baileys and reading and a Scentsy warmer glowing with Pumpkin Roll scent in it.  Mmmm.  These are the kind of days that make my heart so happy.
  3. I'm contemplating making October a "No Spend" month.  Credit cards are paid off (finally) and it would be nice if I could save up some coin for Christmas shopping ahead of time instead of the usual credit card bill pile-up that occurs in November and December.  I'll have to give it some more thought, though.  October has a lot of stuff happening that will cost money, that I cannot (and don't want to) avoid - all of the above-mentioned events, Halloween candy, etc.  I'm just thinking of  my glaring areas of over-spending in the past year:  frivolous Amazon purchases, clothing (I'm lookin' at you Rickis), Tupperware, and yarn.  Could I actually go a month without buying any of them?  I honestly don't know.
  4. To order Crave TV or not to order Crave TV?  That is the question.  Well, it's not really a question.  It's just a matter of when to order Crave TV.  I'm almost done Parks & Rec, and I'm not sure what to move on to next.  Netflix has some intriguing stuff coming up in the next month: Season 2 of Making a Murderer and The Haunting of Hill House intrigue me.  Plus, all the scary movies I like watching this time of year.  Once Halloween is over, I'll be pre-occupied with all of my traditional Christmas movies and specials, that is a guarantee.  So I think it's most wise for me to save Crave for the new year.  I'm super-excited about it, though, which makes it difficult to wait.  The Handmaids Tale, Big Little Lies, Game of Thrones, Letterkenny, True Detective, and now they have Castle Rock too - ALL shows I'm dying to watch!!  But like I said, the next few months will provide little time to absorb myself with them.  I may just go with something light in the meantime, like New Girl on Netflix.  
  5. Big Brother 20 wrapped up on Wednesday night, and I actually stayed awake to watch it in real time so that I wouldn't find out who won on social media.  *SPOILERS AHEAD*  I have to say, I was really OK with how it all went down.  I was glad that JC won the second-last HoH and took Angela out, as she was annoying me.  Was JC as deserving to sit in the Final 3? Probably not.  But he won when it counted most, and he took his shot.  I really felt Level 6 had gotten too cocky, and I was pleased their perfect plans ended up foiled, at least a little bit.  With the Final 3 set of Kaycee, Tyler, and JC, I suppose I was rooting most for Tyler.  I felt he played the hardest.  That said, I feel like Tyler really failed in his final speeches and answering the jury's questions.  He rattled on a lot, often not even answering their questions, and almost always had to be cut off by Julie for time restraints.  Kaycee was concise, played up her social game, and the fact that she was genuine.  At the end of the day, the 5-4 vote landed in her favour, and I couldn't blame them for it.  She played hard, was a beast in competitions, and stayed friendly with pretty much everyone.  It was a satisfying conclusion to what I thought was a truly wonderful season.  The only flaw in the finale episode?  That cheesy, ridiculous proposal with Swaggy C and Bayleigh.  They only spent a few weeks together, he was voted out second, and she's been in the jury house since the first week it opened.  Seriously? It had me rolling my eyes, and also cemented them as two of my least favourite people who played this summer.  Blech.
Have a wonderful weekend, everyone!

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

What are the chances that you stayed awake for any of those Fall movies this weekend? ha ha! Looking forward to all the fun in October!