Wednesday, September 26, 2018

On Tornadoes and other things...


  • So... Tornadoes.  Yeah.  We don't get tornadoes here.  We sometimes get warnings, but nothing really ever develops.  Just doesn't happen.  Until last Friday.  I had weather warnings and watches, several mentioning potential for tornadoes, coming through on my phone all day long.  There was a little chatter about it around the office, but not much.  Nobody was overly concerned.  I got off work early and headed to my mom's, because Caden and Danica were there for their PD Day.  My sister was coming up after work for supper and to pick them up.  We ended up getting a thunderstorm during supper time, and all of a sudden, our Facebook feeds were filled with reports and videos of tornadoes all around us.  Across the river in Dunrobin, down the highway in Luskville and Breckenridge, in the Mont-Bleu area of Hull, in the Craig Henry area of Ottawa...Environment Canada has now reported that there were 6 different tornadoes that touched down in our area that afternoon/evening.  SIX.  Kara and the kids and I all slept at my mom's that night.  Though I had no damage - and never even lost power for any length of time - it was one of those nights where you just needed to feel close to loved ones.


  • I am so grateful that our little town was largely untouched.  We had storms and torrential rain and high winds, but nothing of the magnitude that many in our area dealt with - and are still dealing with.  The aftermath is devastating. It's like something out of a movie.  That said, it has been heart-warming to see communities pulling together, neighbours helping neighbours, strangers offering help, food, shelter, anything they can to others in need.  It helps to restore our faith in humanity to see how people come together after a tragic event such as this.  
  • The tornadoes on Friday seemed to knock my whole weekend off-kilter.  I felt very unsettled and antsy all weekend, even though I was not directly affected.  I went home early Saturday morning after my restless night on the couch at Mom's, got cleaned up and dressed, and then immediately crawled into bed and slept for another 2 hours.  I felt like I had been hit by a truck.  I was exhausted.  I guess it was emotional stress that I had largely been suppressing.  Tying to be calm and cool during a time like that can take a toll, I guess.  I spent the rest of the day trying to be normal - I baked pumpkin bread, I crocheted, I watched TV (regular TV because the Internet was down, no Netflix, ugh #firstworldproblems) - before Mom called me to come back up for supper, Kara and Chris and the kids were on their way back because they still had no power.  So we hung out again at Mom's, but this time I went home to my own bed.  One night on the couch this weekend was enough for me!
  • Oh, also on Saturday - while I was sitting watching TV and crocheting in the afternoon, there was a knock at my door.  I was so surprised and happy to discover our former minister Rev. Nancy and her husband Reg had stopped by to bring me a bottle of Pumpkin Spice Baileys!  I had put out a Facebook request last week that if anyone saw it to please pick me up a bottle, but I hadn't actually expected it to happen, especially not from a couple that live in Orleans, well over an hour away from me!  It was such a nice surprise, and I have been enjoying it ever since.  Yum!!  Thank you Nancy & Reg!!
  • Sunday we had church, and then I had a short meeting after church, before heading off to a "Meet & Greet" to meet my newest little cousin, Raymie Mack!  My cousin Kayla and her hubby Ben had welcomed their first baby two weeks ago, and I was drying to snuggle with him.  He is adorable, and having him in my arms was definitely my best moment of that crazy weekend.
  • Yesterday was a rainy, crappy day.  I had plans to go to the city with Lindsay after work to get pedicures and catch a movie, but we decided to put it off for another day.  It was just the kind of day you want to curl up and be cozy.  I daydreamed all day of what I would do if I were at home: change into comfy clothes, curl up and read, watch a movie, crochet, and make comfort food.  I couldn't make most of that a reality because, well, work doesn't stop for a rainy day, but I did go home and fulfill my rainy day comfort food daydreams.  I made homemade mac & cheese and a pumpkin cake for supper, then spent the evening crocheting while watching old episodes of Unsolved Mysteries.   A perfect dark & dreary evening!
  • I have a whole bunch of scary movies saved to my lists on both Netflix and Amazon Prime, and yet I still keep feeling like it's too early to dive into them.  Rosemary's Baby, The Conjuring 2, Canada's Most Haunted... and yet when I have the need to watch something creepy, I keep going back to old Unsolved Mysteries. LOL!  I guess with October arriving on Monday I'll finally feel like it's not "too early" anymore.  Bring on the scary season!
  • Have I mentioned lately how much I love fall?  October holds so much fall fun in store, I can't wait to get it rolling.  Thanksgiving is next weekend (?!? already!!!), I'm going to a Haunted House on the Hill event at Billings Estate, a historic site in Ottawa the following weekend, Car Rally is October 20th, and Scary Movie Marathon is the 27th.  I already have my Halloween costume.  I can't wait to carve pumpkins and make treat bags.  I really, truly adore this time of year!!!

3 comments:

Annsterw said...

WOW~ such tragedies~~ I cannot imagine living with tornadoes! Scary stuff!!! I will be praying for the towns around you as they rebuild. Life is so precious! Hugs

Rev. Nancy said...

I hope the Bailey's is as yummy as you hoped. It was lovely to see you, and deliver your treat.

Nicole said...

Scary movies... I think I'll stick to the little kid Halloween movies. Although... just food for thought... in an English class I was in, they said that people like scary movies because they know that in the end, it's all over, it wasn't real, etc etc. haha. Okay, that food looks amazing. And, tornadoes are so scary. I actually do live in Tornado Alley