Thursday, September 06, 2018

A Re-Cap of The Fair

A week ago today, I was gearing up and getting excited, not only for a long weekend but for the annual Shawville Fair!!   I wasn't the only one who was excited.  One day last week I came in to work, and found that my friend Lindsay had left me a poem on my desk as an ode to the Fair! haha!

So the Fair opened on Thursday evening, and my mom and I made our traditional Thursday evening Old Lady Venture to the Fair.  By this, I mean that we ate supper (Mom's choice - she usually goes for Billy T's pizza, but this year she opted for Bonnie's instead), did a tour around the vendor/exhibit hall, and then headed over to the arena for the Opening Ceremonies.  This year, my Uncle Garry was honoured by the Fair board with the Dedicated Service Award, as he has been the plumber at the Fair for over 20 years.  As the presenter remarked in his speech, when you think of the Fair, you don't think of plumbing.  But when a problem with the washrooms arises, people get pretty upset about it pretty quick! haha!  My uncle basically lived at the Fair all those years, to ensure he was on-hand should any issues arise.  You couldn't ask for a man more devoted to his job.  Mom and I joined a great group of family and friends who were in attendance to see him receive his award.  I felt so proud to sit there among them all as part of his Fan Club. It was a well-deserved honour, that's for sure!!  It was a cool evening, but we still made our stop on the way out to get ice cream.  The ice cream stand always has Orange Pineapple, which I only ever see at the fair, so I always make sure to have a scoop on the first night before it runs out.  Yum!

Friday night, I met up with my friend Sharon and her family.  I had purchased a ride pass this year, and I was excited to put it to use!  We went on the ferris wheel and I captured my favourite photo of the weekend:

We had a great time, as I once again stuffed my face with awesome fair treats (Billy T's pizza, the Boom Boom Chicken poutine from Big D's, and a Beavertail), and after Sharon's family headed for home, we made our way over to watch The Trews.  I admit, I wasn't a huge fan of the band going in to the show, but they turned me into one!  They were SO good!!  I downloaded a bunch of their songs the next morning and have been listening to them ever since.  As we stood watching the show, I noticed a little girl running around in front of me and realized it was my friend Priscilla's little girl.  It turns out, she was standing just a few feet in front of me, so it was nice to catch up with her too.  I also spotted on of my favourite former Sens players, Chris Neil, standing with a group of people not far from us as well, though I was too shy to go over and say hi.  I just ogled from a distance LOL!

On Saturday, Mom and I went back up to the Fair late morning, because my little buddy Sam was showing a calf in the Peewee 4H show.  I grabbed another poutine from my fave Fair food truck, Big D's - this time, I got the Kicked Up Mac poutine - and headed to the arena to watch the 4H shows.  It is so cute to watch the little ones leading their calves around.  They all do such a great job. (Even if I don't understand WHY anyone would want to drag a stubborn cow around in a ring haha!!)  After a few hours, we decided to head for groceries and go ahead home.  I decided not to go back up that night, and opted instead for a Guardians of the Galaxy Netflix night. (Chris Pratt crush is in full swing.)  It was a flop, though, because I fell asleep during the first one and didn't bother watching the second one LOL.  I need a rainy day or something to watch movies, I always seem to fall asleep these days no matter how good the movie is!


On Sunday, I went to church and out for brunch with Mom, then spent the rest of the day relaxing - crocheting, watching Parks and Rec, and napping.  In the evening, I went up with my friend Lindsay.  Yes, of course, MORE fair food!  I saved the best for last, getting my Nacho Libre poutine from Big D's (my fave!!!) and mini donuts.  That night featured the band High Valley, and they were pretty good.  I was most excited for their show, but in the end, I think I liked The Trews much better.  We still had a great evening though, enjoying the music despite the sweltering heat!!  I always enjoy touring around with Linds looking at the quilts and all the craft exhibits.  We had a fun night!

Monday was the last day of the fair, and the good news was that Caden and Danica were home from Montreal!!  As you might recall, Caden's baseball team had made the Provincials in Montreal and so they were gone all weekend.  They came home Sunday night, though, and Chris brought them to the Fair for the last day.  We went on lots of rides, ate more food (a dill poutine from the Fresh Fry Co. truck, and cotton candy), watched some of the Demo Derby, and after another hot and sticky day, we were ready for home by late afternoon.  A great way to cap off the Shawville Fair weekend!!

This week is going much better for me (aside from the fact that I don't care if I see another poutine again soon... ugh! LOL) -  as I am officially over the back-to-school sick feeling and I'm starting to get really excited for fall.  More on that soon, I promise!  I hope everyone is having a GREAT week! :)

2 comments:

Annsterw said...

I had poutine for the first time when I was in Canada last year - it was amazing!! I don't know how I lived without it my life! Yummy!!! We don't have that here in PA!

Rev. Nancy said...

Good to have a quiet weekend with such a bury fall.