Thursday, August 30, 2018

BB20: One of the best seasons yet!

*Warning: If you're a Big Brother fan, and you aren't caught up on your PVR'd episodes, there may be SPOILERS ahead.  Proceed with caution!!*

I know I have a few blog pals who are also fellow fans of the show Big Brother, so I thought I'd write about some of my thoughts and feelings on this year's season thus far.

Big Brother is one of my guilty pleasures.  There are only a few seasons that I haven't watched over the many years, and it's one reality TV show that I find extremely interesting: to see how a group of strangers (usually) thrown together in one house with cameras on them 24/7 interact, strategize, become friends or enemies, and work together - or against one another - in a bid to win $500,000.  There have been seasons I've really enjoyed (a few years ago, the season that had Cody, Frankie Grande, Caleb, and eventual winner Derek Levasseur immediately comes to mind), and seasons I have hated.


Last summer was one of those seasons I really didn't like.  I usually peg the "hot guy" in the house as my favourite right out of the gate, and last year that was Cody.  But it turned out Cody was a bit of a jerk, and  very early on he started a showmance with Jessica, who wasn't one of my most favourite people ever.  Sadly, at the end of the season, Cody and Jessica were the only people in that house I even remotely liked.  They were a nasty group of individuals, in my opinion.  They were hateful and mean and cruel to one another on a level I don't recall witnessing before.  The one houseguest I despised the most was Josh.  When Josh didn't get his way, he would bang pots and pans and scream at the houseguest he was warring with, and then he would cry when someone tried to give it back to him.  He liked to dish it out but he couldn't take it when it was directed at him.  I literally despised this guy.  And he went on to win the whole season.  BLEH!!!!


When BB started this summer, I was tentative.  I was afraid of another despicable group like last year's.  I have been pleasantly surprised.  This is one of my favourite group of houseguests ever.  The very first night I picked Winston as my "favourite" (based on my only main criteria - looks. haha!) but Winston didn't last long in the BB house.  He turned out to not be such a great game player after all, and he was a little limp on personality.  Looks only take you so far, Winston, man. But despite the fact that my "favourite" was evicted early on, I have really, really enjoyed this season, and so look forward to episode nights.  There were only a few houseguests that I really didn't like, and most of them were evicted also very early on.  For instance, I thought Swaggy C was a total jackass, and I found Kaitlyn to be totally annoying with all her talk of "auras" and reading peoples' souls. ugh.  Didn't hurt my feelings when they said early good-byes!

The current group in the house is, in my opinion, a very lovable group.  Rockstar was really the last one left who got on my nerves, and she was sent packing two weeks.ago.  (I mean, a grown-ass woman who goes by the name "Rockstar"??  Give me a break.)  The Level 6 alliance has pretty much been running the show for weeks, and they are the side of the house I have leaned towards all along, so things have been going swimmingly for me.  They have pulled off some miraculous moves over the past few weeks, sending home members of the opposite side of the house even when they are in control.  I have squealed and clapped with glee on many occasions.  Last night Fessy broke it all down in hilarious fashion, and it truly is incredible that they messed up so badly over the past few weeks, with Bayleigh, Rockstar, and Scottie all going home while their alliance members were in power.  As Fessy said, they are the worst houseguests to ever play the game.  And yet still, somehow, I like them.

I just really appreciate how this group seems to be respectful and kind to one another. There have been a few blow-ups (Bayleigh liked to bring the fire on occasion, and I'm glad she's gone because of that), and  there's been one pot-banging session (ah, the ever-immature grown-ass woman, Rockstar), but overall this group of houseguests have just been nice to each other, and I appreciate that so much.  For example, when Haleigh was in the depths of despair the other night and walked into a room full of Level 6 members in tears, she turned to leave and they instead told her to stay. They hugged her and comforted her and were kind to her, despite the fact that she's on the other side.  They are humane, and our world so needs more people in it like this.

So I have been trying to decide, of the houseguests that remain, who I want to win.  And I honestly don't really know.  Here's a rundown of who is left in the house and my feelings on them:


Faysal -  I kind of adore big, dumb Fessy.  I just want to cuddle with him.  He's like a big giant teddy bear. But oh, boy, is a he a dummy.  He's been trying to run his side of the house for weeks, and, well... as I  mentioned, it's been nothing but backfires and catastrophes. Last week he nominated and orchestrated the eviction of one of his closest allies, all because he got jealous Scottie was going after his girl.  If Fessy didn't have Haleigh at least trying to help him, he'd never have survived this long.  She's the brains behind the operation, but she seems to have trouble controlling him.  Fessy is far more likely to listen to "the puppetmaster" JC than Haleigh, who has tried so desperately to guide him.  As he sits on the block beside his girl, he's quite likely to go home tonight, and while he might be one of the dumbest BB players of all time, I will miss him, my big cuddly teddy bear.

Haleigh - This girl has never aligned with the side of the house I root for, and yet, I cannot help but like her.  She's smart, she's sweet, and she shows lots of class for her young age.  She sits on the chopping block beside her main man Fessy going into tonight's eviction episode, and I think if they were smart they would evict her ahead of him, because she's definitely the brains behind the operation.  That said, I think they're mistakenly leaning towards evicting him tonight.  I don't know if Hayleigh can make any moves when she has no one left in her corner, but you just never know.  She's a competitor and I know she won't quit.  Plus, she seems to have Brett wrapped around her finger, and since he's a little bit brighter than Fessy, the two of them could team up and pose quite a challenge for Angela and Tyler...things could still get interesting...

JC - Most nights, JC provides the comedic relief in this house.  His accent, his trouble with the English language, and his antics have been pure entertainment.  And yet, he's no dummy.  He's been able to get these people to do ludicrous things, and so far, it's always worked in his favour.  He calls Faysal his "big dumb puppet" in the Diary Room, which will likely cause hurt feelings outside of the house when Fessy sees it, but he isn't wrong.  JC points Fessy in the wrong direction all the time, and Fessy runs with it.  He's been pretty instrumental in big things happening, and while he's remained a floater and never really joined an alliance, you never know what he might have up his sleeve going forward.  He could still make things happen.

Sam - Oh, how I wanted to like Sam.  And when we started, I really did like Sam.  She's down-to-earth, she takes no shit, and she's extremely genuine.  One of her finest moments, in my opinion, was the week she put up Haleigh and Kaitlyn and put it all on the line that she doesn't like girls like them who manipulate guys.  However, as the houseguests have come to realize, she's a weeee bit off her rocker.  My favourite crazy Sam moment was when she tried to talk Fessy into nominating his showmance Haleigh for eviction the week he was HoH.  HA!!  I honestly think they have to keep Sam around because she keeps the house clean, if for no other reason.  I think she's a sweet girl but she's probably the remaining houseguest with the least possible chance of winning (aside from Faysal who is likely going home tonight.)

Kaycee - This girl is tough,  yet she's not a meanie, and I like that about her.  She's a competitor, and one of the key "brains" in Level 6.  When it gets down to the the core group - likely her, Brett, Angela, and Tyler, unless Haleigh or JC can shake things up - you just never know what Kaycee might be able to pull out.  She can win any comp at any time, and she's strategic.  I'm very interested to see what goes down once Level 6 has to turn against one another, and where Kaycee ends up.

Brett -  Ah, Brett.  How I adore Brett.  He was originally in the "bros" alliance with my very first houseguest crush, Winston, and he's been working with Level 6 from Day 1.  Brett is competitive, sneaky, doesn't hesitate to throw out a lie no matter how outrageous it is, but he's also total comedic relief.  I enjoy Brett quite a lot.  If Haleigh stays in the house tonight, who knows what the two of them might cook up, as he's taken a shine to her and loves to drive Fessy up the wall by snuggling up to her.  Brett and Haleigh could potentially make up a power couple to go head-to-head with Angela and Tyler.

Angela - This girl is probably my least favourite of the houseguests remaining, and yet I have to respect her game, and I tend to cheer for her simply because she's in Level 6. She's played a smart game, I'll give her that.  She laid low when it was best to do so, and made big moves that left little blood on her hands when it was required of her.  She's smart, and has a great relationship with her alliance members, especially Tyler.  She just might go all the way.  Only time will tell.

Tyler - Alright.  So, as I wrote up these paragraphs about the remaining players, it became clear to me who my favourite left in the house is, and that's Tyler.  This dude has played a crazy good game so far.  He has deals made with pretty much everyone left in the house, and like Angela, has managed to make massive moves without getting much blood on his hands.  He's a competition beast, and Tyler is a dangerous threat to everyone left, but none of them realize it.  At the end of the day, he's the guy I'm rooting for most, and I think there's a VERY good chance he takes home the BB20 crown.  I can't wait to see how he fairs over the weeks leading up to finale night!

So there's my take on Big Brother 20 thus far!  If you're a BB fan, what do you think?  Who's your favourite player?  Who do you think will win?  LET'S GO!!!

1 comment:

Annsterw said...

I love this season also! I adore Hailey but unfortunately I don't think she has much of a chance after Fessy did what he did this last week. I used to love Sam also but with all the crying and whining I am over her completely! It is really good and I agree that the best thing is that they all realize ti is a game and don't literally hate each other on opposite sides.