Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Wednesday Loves: Finding reasons to smile during back-to-school week

Back-to-school week continues around here, with a bunch of new "first day" pictures hitting Facebook this morning. Blech.  But honestly, I'm not feeling nearly as twisted up and sad as I usually do during this week.  I think part of it is we had a really full, satisfying, fun summer, and that helps.  I'm also being very conscious to keep looking for reasons to smile, doing things that make me content, and taking comfort in the little things that get me through the day.

Here's what I'm LOVING this Wednesday:

  • Waking up to the sound of rain gently pattering against my window.  It's one of my favourite sounds.  My alarm goes off half an hour before I actually have to get out of bed, so I just snuggled in and listened to the rain this morning. It was bliss.
  • The happy "back to school" reports I got from the kiddos who went back yesterday.  I haven't heard a bad one yet, so it must be OK as long as they are all OK!!  I was especially nervous for my nephew Caden, as he was starting high school and taking the bus for the first time, but it sounds like it all went smoothly.  He's such a laid-back, chill dude, I probably worried more for him than he did himself.  (but seriously... high school?!?!  It hurts my heart to think of my first-born nephew heading off to high school!! wahhhhhhhh!!!)
  • Taking time to read each evening.  On Monday night, it was overcast and drear so I snuggled in to my reading chair, turned on my rock salt lamp, and it almost felt like fall.  Last night, it was sticky hot and sunny, but after spending the day inside in the air conditioned office, I didn't mind taking the opportunity to sit out on the deck after work and soak up some of that heat while I read.
  • I'm loving my good intentions to start exercising again... and I promise, it IS going to happen soon!  Hopefully next week.  I got a Fitbit for my birthday - which is a month ago now - and the only days I've made it to 10,000 steps are the days when I cut my grass.  For some reason, the Fitbit recognizes my riding lawn mower as an "outdoor bike" and I get lots of steps in when I'm on it. Haha!  Anyways, I really want to start getting LEGIT steps in, and get my exercising mojo back.  It has been pretty much non-existant all summer.  I've used the extreme heat as a (decent) excuse, but I can't continue finding excuses.  I've gotta get my butt back in gear.
  • Totally loving Parks & Rec.  Ever since I read Amy Poehler's book, I've been wanting to watch her show.  It was the reason I invested in Amazon Prime and a Fire Stick.  I started Season 3 last night and it brings me lots of smiles and giggles when I'm watching.  I love it, just as I expected I would.
  • Oh, and Parks & Rec has brought me a new crush:  Chris Pratt.  Not sure why, but he's never really hit my radar in the celebrity crush department.  Until now.  He plays the lovable, goofy, lazy but adorable Andy.  And I'm really, really enjoying him.  I wish I knew an Andy in real life.
  • Still loving crocheting!  I'm nearing the end of another blanket that I've been working on. It's a simple continuous granny square (crooked, as usual), and as much as I enjoy how quickly they work up and how easy they are to do, I'm looking forward to trying something new once this one is done.  I have a new pattern lined up and a new shipment of yarn coming in,  and I can't wait.  It's ridiculous how much joy I now get from something as simple as yarn.
  • I'm loving that the Fair is almost here!  It's something to look forward to during this crappy crappy week.  I bought a ride pass this year, so I'm a little bit excited about hopefully going on some rides with some of my friends' kids (it's been YEARS since I went on rides at the fair, probably not since high school).  I used to love rides, but I'm a little nervous about it now, I'm not sure if I'll still like them as much as I did back then!  Truthfully, I'm most excited about the food.  God help me.  I can't wait for Big D's poutine, ice cream, beavertails, Billy T's pizza, Bonnie's barn burger, little donuts, 4H burger, and of course cotton candy... I may have to drive up for every meal over the weekend so I can cover all my bases!! haha!!
What are YOU loving this Wednesday?!

1 comment:

ShannonJMc27 said...

What!? OMG! Chris Pratt is so, so hot!! Ever since I saw him in Everwood and The OC but even more since Guardians of the Galaxy. Oh my! Have SO much fun at the Fair with all the food! I'm jealous!