Tuesday, July 12, 2016

My Summer Jams

I should be doing a weekend recap - because it was a great weekend! - but all the photo evidence has yet to be uploaded and edited, so I'll save that for another day.

We're in the midst of a stinkin' hot week here in these parts, and it's got me wishing I could just hang out on the back deck with a book, a beverage, and some good tunes.  Isn't that what summer is all about?  So I thought today I'd share my summer playlist... can't get enough of these tunes!  I've been really into country lately, more so than usual, so a lot of my jams are from that category.  Still, any one of these songs can have me blurting out "Oh!  Oh!  I LOVE this song!!!  This is MY song!!"

1. Can't Stop the Feeling - Justin Timberlake



I know, I've talked about this song a little too much over the past few months, but seriously, does it EVER get old?!?  Just as "Cheerleader" by OMI will always make me think of Summer '15, this one from JT will forever define Summer '16.

2. River - Leon Bridges



I imagine that every time I hear this song, I will be transported to a lazy summer Saturday on my couch, watching Suits, and thinking of how perfect this summer has been, and it's only just really begun. I adore this song, and I'm ever so grateful I've discovered this artist.  His whole album Coming Home has this "summer of 1950" vibe to it.  For an old soul like me, it is pure musical candy.

3. One Dance - Drake



From the first moment I heard this jam, it has topped my list of favourites for 2016. It's got "sweaty summer dancefloor hit" written all over it.

4. Cheap Thrills - Sia ft. Sean Paul



Can I just say that I love that Sean Paul is back?  His reggae voice and vibe is a throwback to my college days, and I love that he's popping back up on the charts today.  This one is my fave to blast in the car as I'm driving away from work on those summer Friday afternoons... my fave "let's get the weekend started" song!!

5. H.O.L.Y - Florida Georgia Line



Lindsay has kinda forced me to love this song.  She's humming it and singing it constantly.  And it took a while, but it has finally caught on.  I'm kind of in love.

6. Messin' Around - Pitbull ft. Enrique Iglesias



I love that it's Pitbull and Enrique, like, can we get more summery than that?  And I love that it samples an old favourite REO Speedwagon song.  Sacrilege to some, I'm sure, but if it makes me want to dance, it's all good with me!

7. Head Over Boots - Jon Pardi



Feels like every time I flick over to a country station, this song comes on, and I LOVE it.  Reminds of the kind of country songs I grew up on.  Almost makes me want to take up line dancing again... and yes, just one song inspired me to download the whole album, which is amazing in my opinion.

8. Mixtape - Autumn Hill



This one transports me back to being an awkward, zit-faced, hopelessly romantic teen, sitting on my bedroom floor with my boombox, making mix tapes for hours.  Just waiting for those perfect songs to come on the radio.  It was an obsession, and I miss those days dearly.

9. All in my Head (Flex) - Fifth Harmony ft. Fetty Wap



I'm so over "Work from Home" by Fifth Harmony. In fact, I never liked the damn song from the very beginning, and it's been over-played to death.  I'm thanking the Lord that I actually kinda like their new one (maybe it's because of Fetty Wap?  I kinda like Fetty Wap.)  Whether it will still be on my list by the end of the summer remains to be seen...

10. Crash - Usher



This one is so super new that I haven't even really got a handle on it yet, but the few times I've heard it, I've enjoyed it.  So I'm putting it on the list.  I mean, it's Usher.  Like, c'mon.

11.  Somewhere on a Beach - Dierks Bentley



CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TAKE ME TO THE BEACH?!?!?  (Preferably with Dierks Bentley, of course.)

12. 80's Mercedes - Maren Morris



Maren Morris has been one of my new faves ever since I first heard "My Church".  Her latest has such a fun summer sound to it, and even though it makes me feel a little old when she sings "I'm a '90's baby in my '80's Mercedes" (like, seriously, '90's babies shouldn't be old enough to drive already, should they? ack!!) - it's one of those perfect windows-down-singing-loud kind of songs.

13. Let It Go - James Bay



I just want to sit out on the end of the dock at sundown, my feet dipping in the water, and listen to this one.  Soothing, relaxing, simple.

14. Daddy Lessons - Beyonce



It's my favourite off Bey's much-talked-about Lemonade album.  Beyonce's gone country, y'all.

15. Castaway - Zac Brown Band



I honestly hadn't even heard of this song til this past weekend, but after hearing some friends talk about it, I checked it out, and loved it.  No surprise, I've always been a bit of a Zac Brown fan.  And it just screams "SUMMER" so that helps too. ;)

So, what songs are you on YOUR summer playlist?  Please do share, I love finding new tunes!!


5 comments:

ShannonJMc27 said...

I'm gonna check most of these out tonight! I NEED some new tunes on the bus ride to work. Also, Stacy said she found more Maren songs so I better get on that!

Lindsay said...

HIGHHHHHH ON LOVIN YOU!!

P.S
Also LOVE Let It Go!

Nicole said...

You always introduce me to new songs. I love it!

http://sweetcanadian.blogspot.com/ said...

Castaway was my fav's because I like the acapella but it is wearing on me now. I like beautiful drug too.

Boots over heels i MUST turn loud when it comes on. I love it, his voice, the twang, the throwback vibe I get, the rhythm every single thing about the song. It reminds me of the new footloose when teaching the one guy to dance washing the car. He even looks like him.

Chad Brownlee I hate you for it is also at the top for me. When I saw him at countryfest 2 weeks ago everyone loved it too.

Blogger said...

Discover how THOUSAND of people like YOU are making a LIVING from home and are fulfilling their dreams right NOW.

Get daily ideas and guides for earnings THOUSAND OF DOLLARS per day ONLINE for FREE.

SUBSCRIBE NOW