Thursday, February 21, 2013

Song obsession of the year (so far)

I know it’s not Musical Monday or anything like that, but I’m declaring it Musical Thursday here, alright?  Who needs a special day to talk about some amazing tunes?  Not me!

So.  It’s fairly early in 2013 to already be declaring a “favourite song of year”, but I have to say, there is one that springs to mind immediately right now.

As you probably already know, I get “song-obsessed” quite frequently.  I’ve been on a mission this week to educate myself on The Sheepdogs (they come highly recommended from my cousin Bucky, whom I consider to be a legitimate authority on all things good-music-related).  I’m totally on The Sheepdogs bandwagon now, thanks to Buck advising me to download “Feeling Good”, “The Way It Is”, “Shine On”, “I Don’t Know”, and “Who”.

In Buck’s exact words, “They’re f*&%en amazing.  It’s like Zeppelin and Skynrd had a child.”

Amen, brother.

Taking things in a whole ‘nother direction, though (and in one that I’m sure Bucky would NOT approve of), I’ve also been hitting repeat a lot on Blake Shelton’s current hit, “Sure Be Cool If You Did”.

Pretty sure every second girl I’m friends with on Facebook and Twitter have posted the lyric -  And now you’re standing in the neon, lookin’ like a high I wanna be on.  Just listen to Blake sing it, and tell me it’s not the sexiest thing you’ve ever heard…

Oh, Blake.  You make me weak in the KNEES!!

But really, when I think about my absolute FAVOURITE song of 2013 (so far), I have to hand it over to Pink.  Pretty sure Buck would not approve of this selection either, but my friend Susie gave me a copy of Pink’s latest album, The Truth About Love, a while back, and I’ve really been enjoying it.

This song, though?  This one is so so awesome.  I want to see if I can learn to play it on guitar.  I played the track for my friend Lindsay yesterday, and she said it would be a tough one to sing because of the wide range in the vocals (which Pink does beautifully, I might add), but I’d like to try it.

This is “Beam Me Up”:

There's a whole 'nother conversation going on
In a parallel universe,
Where nothing breaks and nothing hurts.
There's a waltz playing frozen in time
Blades of grass on tiny bare feet
I look at you and you're looking at me.

Could you beam me up,
Give me a minute, I don't know what I'd say in it
I'd probably just stare, happy just to be there, holding your face
Beam me up,
Let me be lighter, I'm tired of being a fighter,
I think, a minute's enough,
Just beam me up.

Saw a black bird soaring in the sky,
Barely a breath, I caught one last sight
Tell me that was you, saying goodbye,
There are times I feel a shivering cold,
It only happens when I'm on my own,
That's how you tell me I'm not alone

Could you beam me up,
Give me a minute, I don't know what I'd say in it
I'd probably just stare, happy just to be there, holding your face
Beam me up,
Let me be lighter, I'm tired of being a fighter,
I think, a minute's enough,
Just beam me up.

In my head, I see your baby blues
I hear your voice and I, I break in two and now there's
One of me, with you

So when I need you can I send you a sign
I'll burn a candle and turn off the lights
I'll pick a star and watch you shine

Just beam me up,
Give me a minute, I don't know what I'd say in it
I'd probably just stare, happy just to be there, holding your face
Beam me up,
Let me be lighter, I'm tired of being a fighter,
I think, a minute's enough,
Beam me up
Beam me up
Beam me up
Could you beam me up.

I think anyone who has lost a loved one can relate to these lyrics, right?  For me, they are poignant, simple, and so bittersweet, bringing images of so many people who we’ve lost to mind, especially Jeff, Troy, my dad, and even my grandma.

Hands down, my most favourite Pink song ever, and definitely in the running to be my very own “song of the year”!

Got a song you’re hooked on these days?  Share it with me!  I love discovering new music :)

4 comments:

Stacie said...

I am really feeling Mumford & Sons, and Of Monsters & Men lately. And the new Rihanna song, Stay. I go through phases. I can tell you what I am not feeling, that stupid Thrift Shop rap song...annoying.

Stacy said...

not a fan of the Pink song...sorry - it sounds like shes saying Beat me Up - which Buck may enjoy more LOL

Jillian said...

ahh sheepdogs they hail from the town I'm currently living in! I've never been a huge fan of them haha they bring out my inner hipster as in (imagine me in my hipster glasses) "they're overrated since they were on the cover of rolling stone" but they're starting to win me over some of their stuff is pretty good and boy do I love blake shelton I've been listening to sure be cool if you did since it got released on itunes and I love that pink song so beautiful! I've been on a real phillip phillips kick lately myself (wicked game is wonderful!)

Emmy said...

I like those last two songs! All so different choices. I must admit I hardly ever listen to new music anymore, though I am watching American idol ;)