Friday, October 03, 2008

Bring a Kleenex to "Nights in Rodanthe"

Last night, I headed out to Kanata to see Nights in Rodanthe with Lindsay (there's your shout-out, dude! haha!)

It's a chick flick. I can't imagine a boy in the world enjoying it.

Oh wait. I almost forgot about the two strange guys - who smelled like weed - that kind of followed us in to the theatre, chatted us up in the popcorn line, and then ended up in the same movie. Which I thought was strange. I'm pretty sure they were the only males watching the movie, and it struck me as kind of creepy...Anyways...No idea if they actually enjoyed the movie, though. I doubt it.

But ladies, you're guaranteed to love it. If you like tearjerkers; if you like Nicholas Sparks books, if you like movies like "A Walk to Remember" and "The Notebook".

Basically the plot revolves around a woman, Adrienne, who isn't sure if she's married or not, and she is taking care of her friend's beach-side inn. There's only one guest for the weekend - Paul, a doctor searching for peace after a disastrous surgery knocked him off-track. In the midst of a hurricane, they end up in each other's arms, and find a love that both of them desperately need at this point in their lives.
I didn't expect the twist that comes. I'd even read the book, but I didn't remember the tragic turn of events that jumps this movie up to a 5-hanky rating. Of course, I can't tell you what happens to Adrienne and Paul - you'll just have to see it for yourselves to find out. But I can tell you this - Diane Lane is exceptional in the role of Adrienne, and even though I've never found Richard Gere attractive (not even in Pretty Woman), the role of Paul suits him to a T.

If nothing else, you'll be longing to find a beach in Rodanthe to spend a vacation. Even with the hurricane blowing through, that's got to be one of the most beautiful locations I've ever seen in my life.

Also, I enjoyed watching the brief scenes with James Franco in the role of Paul's son, Mark. I've become a bit of a James Franco fan lately, and loved him in Pineapple Express this summer. His part in this movie is vastly different from the fun-loving stoner he played alongside Seth Rogan in Pineapple Express, but I loved him in this more serious role, too.


(Holy Hell, he's hot.)

So yes - I do recommend going to see Nights in Rodanthe. But whatever you do, don't forget the Kleenex. You're going to need it!

Before signing off, I'd like to wish an early happy birthday to my new favourite Senator, Jesse Winchester, who will be turning 25 tomorrow!! See, I'm learning more about him every day!

Have a great weekend, everyone! :)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'll definetly be watching it when it comes out on DVD or the dish...I heard the book was good and that it was turned into a movie, i dont think i've seen many previews though...so what is tonight? the chihauha (sp??) movies comes out today i think, Lindsay wants to see that...another movie trip tonight? Hahaha!

Stacy

Jill said...

The chihuahua movie comes out today, but there's no immediate plans to go see it - lol!! I'm sure Lindsay will be making a trip soon, though!

Frig, I just realized I meant to do a little Survivor recap, 'cause I watched it when I got hom. Oh well. Guess I'll save it til Monday.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the shout out Jill, ha ha!! Def. a very good movie to watch when you're in the mood for a good cry!

I have been counting down the days till the Chihuahua movie comes out and have the theme song in my head constantly!! Def. a must see!! :-)


Linds

P.S
Previews kinda sucked last night, except for Changing.

Anonymous said...

Well I am completely insulted... I thought for a mere moment that I was getting a shout out for my 25th birthday... but nope... goes to Jesse... already more important than your friends is he!

I am looking forward to seeing this movie as well.

Jill said...

Oh noooooooo...What a horrible, horrible friend I am, Sharon! I am SO SORRY!! I even have your birthday written down in my day planner and I still forgot to mention it! Hang on a sec...I'm gonna do something about it...

Dianna said...

Hello Jill!
I enjoyed reading your review of ...Rodanthe. I want to see it but so far I've only seen the trailer. I think it would be a better film if MR. FRANCO was Diane Lane's love interest instead of Mr. Gere! I'd LOVE to see that!! She's so naturally pretty and a feisty actress and he's SO FINE!!

Jill said...

Hi Dianna, thanks for checking out my review. Agreed that James Franco is delish, but not sure how he'd match up with Diane Lane...I think he's too young, although it could be interesting! :)

Dianna said...

Jill,
I guess I keep thinking of James with Diane because they played husband & wife in a photoshoot for Vanity Fair a yr or 2 ago. I know he's only 30 and she's 40 something but I've always believed that 'age is just a number'! (My hubby's 3 yrs younger than me!)