Wednesday, October 02, 2019

Wednesday Medley: October Things

I was so happy to close the book on the month of September, and welcome one of my very favourite months to the party!  Hello, OCTOBER!!  Cooler weather, colourful leaves, Thanksgiving, scary movies, cozy crochet time, Halloween, comfort foods... my time of year is officially HERE!!

To celebrate, I'm joining in with today's very October-ish Wednesday Medley questions.


1. The first week of October is National Mystery Series Week. Do you sleuth alongside Nancy Drew or Miss Marple? Fan of Nero Wolfe? 

I enjoy a good mystery - in fact, I'm reading one right now (The Widow by Fiona Barton, and it is so intriguing!) And as a tween, I definitely read some Nancy Drew books.  But I'm not sure who Miss Marple or Nero Wolfe are, so I'm not sure I can call myself a Mystery series expert lol!
2. The first week of October is also National Chili Week. Do you plan on celebrating with a bowl of red? Have a top secret recipe to share?


I do love a good bowl of chili this time of year!  But no, I haven't made it yet this fall, and I don't have any immediate plans to.  I'll grab the ingredients sometime in the next few weeks and whip up a big pot and some cheddar biscuits or beer bread to go with it.  Hearty comfort food is my favourite!

My recipe isn't so "top secret".  It's from my Betty Crocker cookbook, and it is my go-to come Chili season.  https://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/chili/c7df2894-907a-4309-a7f9-6e6f5a6c730d


3. October 2nd is National Name Your Car Day. Does your car or did a family car have a name?
 

Oh yes, we definitely have this tradition in my family! haha! My dad named his trucks in later years after the people he bought them from.  Most notably, his last three trucks were Jimmy, Maurice, and Neil.


I took on my dad's tradition, naming my first vehicle after the aunt that sold it to me (Linda), and my current car is named after the sales woman who I dealt with at the dealership (her last name was Purdy).

4. Today is also National Walk To School Day. Did you walk to school with your friends? Take a school bus? Ever have someone carry your books home from school?
 

No.  Even though now it doesn't seem like  a long walk to the elementary school in our town, we always took the bus.  And then high school was even farther away, so we had to take the bus.  Nobody ever carried my books for me anywhere lol.


5. And it is National Pumpkin Seed Day. Do you like pumpkin seeds? Do you carve the pumpkin and roast the seeds? Do you buy packaged, prepared pumpkin seeds?
 Or more of a pumpkin spice person?

I do like pumpkin seeds, but that will happen later in the month when I carve my jack-o.  I always roast a bunch after I carve, closer to Halloween.  I rarely buy the packaged, prepared kind.  I do sometimes buy the shelled ones.  And I LOVE pumpkin spice everything!!  I made a delicious pumpkin bread last weekend, and I'm already planning to make more!  YUM!!


6. Please tell us something interesting about your week. 

So far, it has been a dark and dreary week... a perfect week to usher in the spookiest month!  As I've mentioned many times, I burnt myself out on scary stuff during the month of October last year, and swore I would not repeat that mistake again.  Yet, yesterday, I got the impulse to create my Scary Movie watch list for this year, and I'm already looking forward to a couple of scary movie dates coming up this month (going to see It: Chapter 2, watching the Freddie and Jason movies that I've never seen, and of course Scary Movie Marathon.)  I've even purchased four DVD's from Amazon in prep for this month.  The aforementioned Freddie & Jason movies, of course, and I also picked up Arachnaphobia and Frailty, two movies I haven't seen in a long time that I liked when I was younger.  So... so much for taking it easy on the scary stuff this year, eh?

No comments: