Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Wednesday Hodgepodge: Spring!

I like the Hodgepodge questions this week, so I'm taking part in that blog prompt!

1. On this first official day of spring tell us something (besides the weather) you're looking forward to in this season of the year.

Easter!  And Lent being finished!  I love celebrations and holidays.  Easter is a fun one.  I'm going shopping for my Easter treats this Friday, and I look forward to all the festivities that come with that holiday.  I even really enjoy the somberness of Good Friday.  And of course, I'm looking forward to getting a bag of chips to have on hand once Lent ends.  I'm going to do my ever-loving best to keep chips out of my house going forward, especially since I've realized my heartburn problems have decreased significantly since I gave up nighttime snacking.  But I have to have some chips to celebrate a successful Lenten season!  (knock on wood - still have a week and a half to go, but so far, so good!)


2. When it comes to spring cleaning would you rather wash windows or wash baseboards?  Clean out closets or clean out the garage? Dust ceiling fans or dust book cases? Wipe down the patio furniture or wipe down the light fixtures inside? Any of these tasks recently completed?

My windows need to be washed desperately, but I'd far rather wash baseboards.  Both are due, actually.
Cleaning out the garage isn't that big a deal because I don't keep much out there, but I am in the midst of cleaning out my closet (with the 40 day closet cleaning challenge for Lent).  I must say, breaking it down by taking something out every day has really made the job less daunting.
I haaate dusting ceiling fans.  I have less book cases so I guess I'd rather dust them?
I'd rather wipe down patio furniture than light fixtures.
The closet is the only one of these tasks I've completed recently.
This question has just reminded me that I have a lot of cleaning to do. And I HATE CLEANING!! ugh.

3. Your favorite thing to make/eat that calls for cream cheese? sour cream? whipped cream?

I love cream cheese; I love almost anything that has cream cheese in it.  Probably my favourite thing to make or eat with it is the Epicure cheese dip.  I've had a craving for that lately.
I also love sour cream.  I use sour cream in a lot of things (most recently in the pot of cream of asparagus soup that I made on Monday!) - but if I had to make something with it right this second, it would just be a go of onion chip dip.  I'm dying for chips with onion dip.
Mmmm whipped cream. I love whipped cream on pumpkin pie.  Or homemade tea biscuits with a bit of jam or jelly and topped with whipped cream, like Grandma used to make.
This question has made me verrrrry hungry!

4. I read here a list of commonly mispronounced words. What is a word that gives you trouble when it comes to pronunciation?

Hmm.  A few weeks ago, I got all tangled up trying to say the word "illegible".  I finally gave up.  And my mom always teases me about how I say the word "amicable".  (apparently I say it wrong).  I can't think of any others.  My friend Lindsay recently laughed at the way I say "syrup" but honestly, I think I'm saying it right and she's saying it wrong! haha!

5. What's a song you love with the word "rain" in the title or lyrics?

Of course, the first that comes to mind is Purple Rain by Prince.  Classic.

6. Insert your own random thought here.

Yesterday was a really weird day.  I spent much of the day anticipating getting home, because I wanted to decorate for Easter and watch the episode of Ellen I'd PVR'd with Scott Moir & Tessa Virtue on as guests and read my book and crochet.  A fun low-key evening!  And then late afternoon, I heard the sad news that our Sens captain Erik Karlsson and his wife Melinda had lost their unborn baby boy.  I follow them both on social media outlets, so I can easily recall the announcement last fall that they were expecting their first child (she posted a photo of them wearing "mom" and "dad" caps), and then the video of Erik leaping in the air after he shot a puck that exploded in blue in December.  Just last week, she shared an Insta story of baby shower favours, little cookies shaped like shirts, decorated in blue with Karlsson's 65 on them.  My heart broke for them at this devastating news. It's been a rough year for the Sens on the ice, but this was a reminder that things can happen that are so much bigger than hockey.  I've had several friends who have suffered similar losses, and it's a heart ache no one should ever have to feel.  Even though I don't know the Karlssons personally, I shed a few tears for them, and felt a little drained and despondent upon hearing their sad news.  My fun evening kind of turned into one of quiet laziness.  I did read for a while, but otherwise, I ended up curled up on the couch and asleep far too early.   My thoughts and prayers are with Erik & Melinda Karlsson as they deal with this horrible grief.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

I think you need to do a video so we can hear you pronounce those words :). And... the rain song... I hear Gary Allen and Songs about Rain :)