Wednesday, February 28, 2018

The Virtue-Moir Effect

You know, it's been a while since I've had a good crush.

All my life, for as long as I can remember, I've been the girl who gets "obsessed".  I fall in love with an actor or a singer or a band or an athlete, I research the crap out of them, I watch Youtube videos, read articles, and follow them relentlessly.  (from a distance.  I'm not a creepy stalker.  Oh, wait, I did do that once, but not intentionally LOL) - I get completely infatuated.  Notables from the past:  Tom Cruise.  Chris O'Donnell.  Wade Redden.  The Tragically Hip.  Jimmy Fallon.  Michael Scofield from Prison Break.  Just to name a few.

But honestly, aside from going back through a Michael Scofield phase again about a year ago when I watched Prison Break for the second time, I haven't had a good celeb crush in a looong time.

I wasn't looking at the Olympics as a possible stage for a new crush to enter my life, either.  I mean, I used to.  I remember in 2010 I even had my own "Olympic Hall of Hot Men" lol.  But as I get older, and the athletes get younger, the crushes tend to fizzle out.  When you're old enough to have been their babysitter, the appeal kind of dies down.  I was excited to watch this year's Winter Olympics from PyeongChang, but I didn't anticipate falling in love.

And then came Scott Moir.

Oh my gosh, you guys.  I am SO in love with Scott Moir.

I'm not sure how I got into the figure skating this year.  I honestly don't think I've been "into" figure skating since the Jamie Sale/David Pelletier days.  (Really felt old when I realized that was 16 years ago. eek!)

I guess the Team Skating events happened to be on TV early in the Games, and I just watched whatever was on.  I grew to really love that part of the evening, when I could settle down on the couch with my crocheting and tune into the Olympics, which usually got rolling around 7-7:30 at night.

Of course, the rest of the country already knew Scott Moir & Tessa Virtue quite well.  They were the flag bearers for our country at the Opening Ceremonies, the cream of the crop in ice dancing and this country's perennial sweethearts.  Somehow, though, I had missed the Virtue-Moir boat.  I vaguely remember them in Sochi.  I had completely forgotten they won gold in Vancouver.  While the rest of the world had previously gone ga-ga for this pair, I had somehow kept them at a distance.  Didn't know them.  Didn't care to know them.  Just ice dancers.  Whatever.

But I was re-introduced to them very early on in PyeongChang, and I finally caught the bug.  I got bit hard.  I was, at long last, on board the Virtue-Moir Train and there was NO getting off!!  This pair... they captured my heart.  They were easily my highlight of the 2018 Games, and I literally go back and watch their performances on Youtube pretty much every day.  They were so good. SO GOOD.  That Moulin Rouge routine?  UGH.  Melt my frigging damn heart!!


And my lord, ladies, don't we all want a guy who looks at us the way Scott Moir looks at Tessa?

My crush on Scott isn't entirely inappropriate, either, because they were the "old pros" at these Games.  They were just little babies when they won Gold in Vancouver in 2010 - Scott was 22 and Tessa 20.  Now, he's 30 and she's 28.  So he's still a tad young for me, but he's at least in my wheelhouse.  Put it this way, it wasn't creepy for me to fall in love with him.

Since their performances at this year's Games, I have seriously gone down the Scott & Tessa rabbit hole.  I mean, I have TWENTY YEARS of Scott & Tessa to catch up on!!  I'm so sad that I have missed out on their journey up until now.  I mean, they're probably at the end of it now - ready to retire & sail off into the sunset.  And I missed almost ALL of it!!  So I've been busy digging into the Scott & Tessa archives, watching old skates, old interviews... they even had a TV show in 2014 on the W Network!!  All of this Scott & Tessa time that I now have to soak up!!  Dudes... I'm even writing Scott & Tessa fan fiction.  It is THAT serious.

So, yes, I think Scott is adorable, and charming, and funny, and sexy as all hell.  I don't know what it is about a manly figure skater, but they do it for me.  That's why I fell so hard for David Pelletier.  LOOKED like he could be a hockey player.  And yet here he was on figure skates, lifting Jaime up in the air, not wearing frilly, foofy costumes, being all macho about it.  And Scott's much the same for me.  Maybe even better.


Here's the thing:  As much as I LOVE Scott, I don't even want him for myself.  I want him to be with Tessa.  These kids have craaaaazy chemistry.  They look at each other with such longing and desire.  The way they move together, the way they touch each other, the way they look at each other... oh my God, it's ridiculously romantic.  I know that skating together since they were little kids plays a part in it - they know each other so well - but that kind of chemistry?!  There's GOT to be something more going on there, you can't just "act" that.  And those long, close embraces they do before they go on the ice?  To sync their breathing?  Gives me shivers just thinking about it.

Of course, since I'm so new to the Scott & Tessa game, I am only just discovering that I am not alone in these sentiments.  The internet is full of news stories and articles, basically pleading with them to get together.  It seems the whole world wants Virtue & Moir to just admit it already, they're in love.  They insist they are not, at least not on a romantic level.  And they've been insisting it for a long time.  Best friends, business partners, a relationship that is hard to explain... more than boyfriend/girlfriend, more than brother/sister...

Oh, COME ON, Scott & Tessa!  Just admit it already!!  YOU ARE IN LOVE!!!!


I know they're sick of being asked about it.  They usually just laugh it off or brush it off when they're asked, but towards the end of their run in PyeongChang, they were actually starting to show a little annoyance. Scott even told one interviewer that being asked about a possible romance cheapens the deep relationship they have.

Well, maybe it does.  But I honestly don't even care.  It's fun to daydream about.  It's fun to write about.  And I have so enjoyed going back through all their footage, watching them perform, watching them feed off of each other, watching them answer the questions, just watching them be Scott & Tessa.

Oh, and they ended the Olympics with their exhibition skate at the Gala by skating to the Tragically Hip's "Long Time Running".  My favourite Olympians, skating to one of my favourite songs... the icing on the cake.

It was well worth the wait.

No comments: