Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Tuesday Randoms


  • I've been crossing things off the ol' "To Do List" lately.  This past week/weekend, that included cleaning out both my fridge freezer and the big freezer in the basement, defrosting the basement freezer, and cleaning out the front closet (which has literally not been cleaned since the beginning of time).  Exhausting stupid jobs that I"ve been putting off forever, but man, does it feel good to have them done.
  • When I cleaned out the freezers, one of my rules was: "If the date on it is from more than a year ago, it gets tossed".  I had a TON of stuff to chuck. I did this task last Tuesday evening because garbage day was the next day, and with it being winter, I knew the stuff would stay frozen for a more clean removal from my home to the bin, and then into the garbage truck.  So for the frozen containers of soup and chili and pasta that had not been used, I let them defrost just enough that I could pop the frozen pucks of stuff and toss into a garbage bag.  Once I was done, the bag was so heavy I could barely lift it.  But I was determined.  So I dragged it out to the bin that was already out at the curb, and when I went to hoist it into the bin, it split open and chunks of frozen BLECH spilled into the snowbank.  I went back in and grabbed more garbage bags, and went to clean up my mess. It had been rather mild that day, so a lot of melting was going on, and there was a huge puddle in front of my house.  So of course, as I was bent over plucking frozen chunks of gross old food out of the snow, cars were driving by like maniacs and splashing me.  Over and over and over.  I swear, if a hidden camera had been on me, that would have been one for the Funniest Home Videos loop... I was not impressed!
  • It was sad, really.  The waste.  One of my goals going forward is to be more mindful of what I have bought and what I have saved in the freezer, and eat up what I have before buying more.  I mean, 3 old boxes of chicken fingers, 2 old boxes of chicken burgers, and 1 old box of chicken nuggets?  So unnecessary...
  • I'm pleased with what I've accomplished this winter in the "crappy job" department.  Now I have to clean out my cupboards and fridge, and my own closet, and then I'll be done everything on my list.  Feels good.
  • Another of my winter tasks is to finish up some books that I only had half-read that have been lying around on my nightstand.  I had started The Handmaid's Tale in the fall, but had to quit half-way in order to get to our next book club book at the time.  That book was The One Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out The Window and Disappeared, which took me forever to read, but I really wanted to get it done, and I completed it earlier in the month. That felt like a huge victory.  Then I went back to The Handmaid's Tale, and finished it up fairly quickly.  Now I've moved on to The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah, which I received as a birthday gift several years ago and started but never finished.  I think I must just have not been in the mood for it at the time, because I'm really enjoying it now.  Once it's done, I'll have cleaned all of the half-read books off my nightstand!  Woo hoo!!
  • My last post was my Hygge post, and it has been very much on my mind ever since.  That said, the internet can be creepy sometimes.  I shared in that post that I wanted an electric fireplace, ideally one that is part of an entertainment unit like my sister has.  Then early last week, a Canadian Tire ad popped up on my Facebook for a fireplace entertainment unit that is pretty much identical to the one my sister has. I don't ever recall seeing a Canadian Tire ad pop up on my Facebook before.  Seriously, it kind of spooked me.  Anyways, it was on sale - regular $699.99, marked down to $379.99.  Such a good deal.  BUT , as I have mentioned, it is also supposed to be "The Year of Saving" for me, and having JUST paid off my credit card last week, I didn't like the thoughts of racking it back up again... such a dilemma.  After discussing with my mom, I had almost made up my mind to go and buy it on the weekend, only to discover to the sale had ended last Thursday.  So I guess the Universe decided for me.  I'll just have to keep my eyes peeled for deals in the future, once I (hopefully) have more money saved up & more freedom to spend on such things!
  • Something I DID kind of splurge on, also from the Hygge post, that my mother scolded me for, was a "Learn How to Crochet" kit from Amazon.  I know my mom has the tools and the ability to teach me, but we can butt heads (at least we did long ago when she tried to teach me how to knit), so I thought I'd embark on this one on my own.  It's kind of funny, since I ordered the kit, I've been daydreaming about becoming a crocheting pro, and making all kinds of blankets and hats and scarves, being able to start up a little side business and sell my products in an Etsy shop or going to vendor and craft shows...  Haven't made one stitch yet, and I'm ready to become a world famous crocheter! ha!
  • So, when I ordered the crochet kit from Amazon, it recommended some things I should buy to go with it.  One was a package of 8 balls of yard, only an additional $10!  "Sure.  I'll need yarn, I love these colours, and that sounds like a good deal."  The package arrived, and I was like, "Huh.  Something's wrong.  How can there be 8 balls of yarn in here?"  Oh, they were there.  And they fit in the small package because they were itty bitty teeny tiny balls of yarn.  Like, literally, balls of yard the size of my thumb.  Sigh. I guess I'll take my friend Lindsay's suggestion and start crocheting scarves for mice?!?!
  • I know I mention it far too often, but OH how I love having Mondays and Fridays off in the winter!!  Yesterday, I spent the morning in the kitchen making Cheesy Cauliflower Soup (so yum), homemade bagels (turned out amazing), and White Trash cookies (also incredibly yum).  All were new recipes for me and I was so pleased they all turned out so well!
  • I watched Manhunt: Unabomber throughout the week & weekend on Netflix, and I got SO into it.  Such a well done show.  I was just a kid when the Unabomber was caught in the '90's, so I didn't really know the story well.  I found it fascinating, and was surprised at how they were able to actually get me to sympathize with him in the end.  And yesterday, after my friend Lolly recommended it to me many times, I finally started House of Cards.  I was a little reluctant to try it, I wasn't sure if it would be my cup of tea, and with all the Kevin Spacey backlash in the news lately, but... turns out, I'm already hooked.  I watched 7 episodes in one day.  And I can't wait to get home to watch more tonight.  Hooked.
Well, that's all I've got for the random today!!  Happy Tuesday friends!! :)

2 comments:

Stacy said...

Those bagels are so good, I am stealing the recipe!

Rev. Nancy said...

Thanks for sharing the recipes. I would never have thought of making bagels!