Tuesday, November 14, 2017

The Christmas prep has begun...

I had my first "Christmassy" weekend of the season. 

I know what you're probably thinking... TOO SOON!  TOO SOON!!!  But for me?  It felt wonderful.

I should note that I don't really consider it "Christmastime" yet.  I'm just thinking of it more as "Christmas Prep Time".  I get easily overwhelmed and flustered when too much is going on at once, and while Christmas is my favourite time of year, it can also be a very busy and stressful time of year.  I'm just trying to stay on the ball and keep my plate balanced. 

Also, I've noticed this year especially that a lot more is happening earlier in the Christmas season.  It kind of feels like everyone wants December to be relaxing and care-free, so more and more is getting bumped back into late November/very early December. 

Which means "Prep Time" has to start earlier. 

My first "official" Christmas event is actually this coming Saturday.  I have an annual get-together with some friends, and this year, it's happening on Nov. 18th.  Then the MVT Christmas party is Nov. 25th.  I have a Cookie Exchange party booked for Dec. 1st, and another friends Christmas gathering which I'm hosting Dec. 2nd. The Christmas House Tour is Dec. 4th. Then, it's Christmas Book Club pot-luck at my place on the 8th.

That's a lot of holiday parties and events loaded into the back end of November and early December.

I like it, because it leaves the rest of December wide open for last-minute shopping, wrapping, and cozying up to watch all of my favourite Christmas movies and specials.  (I literally get stressed out when I don't have time to watch all the movies. lol)  It gives me time to really savour and soak up the best time of the year.

But it also just kind of shifts the stress into the month before.  Hence why I have to start prepping on November 12th.

Yes, that's right.  My trees went up on Sunday, and a lot of the decorating is already done.  My front hall, living room, bathrooms, and bedroom are pretty much finished.  I still have to trim the dining room tree and decorate in there, as well as the kitchen, and also put the garland on the banister, but that will all get done this week, after my decorating injuries have healed.  (Yes, you heard me right.  The backs of my legs are aching as if I ran a marathon, which I'm assuming is from running up and down the stairs bringing decs out on Sunday).  Next week, I will start the baking.  I also started the shopping in late October.  Far from being done, but it feels good to at least have a good start on it.

I have also taken Kelle's lead and created a "Christmas Bucket List" - which isn't really a "bucket list" so much as a "to-do list", but created in a way to increase fun and decrease stress.  Little reminders of fun holiday things I like to do, along with the bigger important events mixed in, and I'm already excited to start checking things off.
I feel so much better being on top of things, and if starting the day after Remembrance Day helps accomplish that, then so be it.  I know people think I'm crazy - people have told me to my face that they think I'm crazy - but honestly, I look at it as securing my own mental health.  I'm doing everything I can to ensure I don't have a pre-Christmas meltdown.

And also?  I just really love Christmas.  So sue me.  What harm am I doing to anyone if I enjoy sitting cuddled up on my couch by the glow of the Christmas tree?  It's not like I'm forcing it down anyone else's throat.  (Well, except for our minister, who kind of has to walk through a Winter Wonderland to get to his office in my front hall right now, haha!)  I've even been keeping my blinds closed so that people won't drive by and say, "Christmas tree up?  Already?  Is she well?"

I am well.  I am ensuring that I will be well.  The Christmas season makes my heart happy, and if I can manage all of the stressful aspects that come with it, then I will, indeed, be very well.

Cheers to the holiday season!  May it be merry for one and all! :)

1 comment:

Stacy said...

My Christmas stuff is going up this weekend...Ricky will have a bird but its always done during the hunt. AND...Josee has had her tree up for like 3 weeks LOL