Anyone who knows me, in real life or in the blogosphere, is sick and tired of hearing me whine and complain. Hell, I’m sick and tired of hearing me whine and complain. It’s been a frustrating almost-two-months now, and I know I sound like a broken record. Truth is, that’s why I’ve been so sporadic with my blog posts lately. I feel like I have nothing else to talk about other than this one subject that is making me want to PULL.MY.HAIR.OUT.
So, I’ve been trying to turn my focus to things that bring joy to my heart. One of those things – now looming in the very near future – is Easter. Yesterday, I noticed a bunch of my blog pals playing along with Easter-and-Hope-related Wednesday Hodgepodge questions. How fitting. I decided to join that party a day late….
1. This coming weekend is Palm Sunday, which marks the beginning of Holy Week. Do you celebrate Easter in your home? What was your favorite Easter tradition as a child?
I love Easter. Almost as much as I love Christmas. And yes, I do celebrate with my family. As a child, of course my favourite tradition was the Easter Egg Hunt. We did ours indoors, as often there’s still snow on the ground here for Easter. Also hidden around the house would be an Easter basket of treats and goodies for each of us. Now, I still enjoy the treats that come with Easter – Reeses PB Eggs, Lindor Eggs, jelly beans, Cadbury Creme Eggs, chocolate bunnies - but I also love our tradition of going to church, going for brunch to one of our favourite local restaurants afterwards, and then gathering for a big family dinner later in the day.
2. George Weinberg is quoted as saying, 'Hope never abandons you, you abandon it.' Agree or disagree? Share your own thoughts on the word hope.
I do agree. Although, since I’ve been wallowing in self-pity and anxiety lately, I can understand how one can be driven to abandon hope. I’ve always tried to maintain a positive outlook, and to always carry hope with me. Some days, that easier said than done, I’ll admit it. I do think it’s important to have a hopeful heart… perhaps a nice reminder to me right now!
3. Weigh in with a yay or nay on the traditional Easter candies. A solid milk chocolate bunny? Cadbury Creme Eggs? Peeps? Reese's Peanut Butter Eggs? Jellybeans? Coconut Cream Eggs? Of the candies listed, which one would you most like to find in your Easter basket?
Oh, how I love Easter sweets!! I’m a big YAY for most of them – I love a solid white chocolate bunny, a Creme Egg or two, the Reese PB eggs are a heavy favourite, jelly beans are a MUST! Coconut cream eggs, though? They sound delicious, but I’ve never heard of them. Peeps – or any kind of marshmallow candy – has never really been tops on my list. Ooooh and I also love Mini Eggs and the malted milk eggs, too. Mmmm… Easter candy…
4. When did you last feel 'like a kid in a candy store'?
I’m sure there have been times since that I’m just not remembering, but the first thing that comes to mind was shopping for Easter candy last year. Because I’d given up sugar and artificial sweeteners for Lent, I anticipated the Easter treats more than usual. When I went to Walmart a few weeks before Easter, I bought pretty much every candy and chocolate in sight. By the time Easter weekend rolled around, I’d been almost driven mad with anticipation. I remember setting all of the candy out before I went to bed on the Saturday night, saving one Reese PB egg to put on my bedside table, so that I could eat it while still in bed Easter morning. I was deliriously excited for it all.
5. What's something you know you do differently than most people? Does that bother you? Does it bother other people?
Hmmm…can’t really think of anything, to be honest. Maybe the way I’m choosing to live my life right now, in my early 30’s? Choosing to be single and childless, at least for the time being? I know it probably makes people wonder why I’ve stalled in that department, but for me, it’s just the way I like it right now. Free to do what I want, when I want… some might think I’m being selfish, but for me, it just keeps me calm and sane (ha! like that’s even possible!!) Doesn’t really bother me much – at least, not anymore - but I think it baffles others sometimes.
6. Palm Springs CA, Palm Beach FL, or the PALMetto State...of the three mentioned, which sunny spot would you most like to visit right now? Which have you visited at one time or another?
I don’t know much about any of these places, but since I haven’t been ANYwhere in a loooong time, I’d probably jump at the chance to visit any one of them!!! Palm Beach would probably be my first choice, just because the word “beach” is in there. (It’s been a long winter.) I haven’t visited any of them previously.
7. If you could change the length of a day would you lengthen it or shorten it? Tell us why.
I don’t imagine why anyone would want to shorten the day. There are never enough hours in the day, am I right?! There have definitely been days when I’d like to add a few hours, that’s for sure…
8. Insert your own random thought here.
You guys don’t want to hear my random thoughts these days, trust me. Refer back to the start of this post. ;)