I missed Random Tuesday yesterday. And today, the We Want to Know Wednesday questions are all about love. *Blech*
So I’m going random today instead. Come along for the ride.
- Yesterday, my friend Sarah asked for a review on the Dill Pickle Soup. Here is my review: YUCK. Soooo not as amazing as I thought it would be (or the 300 comments left on the recipe blog post that I got it from led me to believe it would be.) The flavour wasn’t as yummy as I thought it would be (and I LOVE dill pickles!) – also, it had a very thick, gluey texture that was not enjoyable. I thought of several ways that I could make the texture better – less flour in the “paste” that you whisk into it, maybe try using an immersion blender and a cup of milk or cream instead and leave the “paste” out altogether – but then I thought, “Do you enjoy the taste of this enough to want to try and fix it?” And the answer was: No.
- But please, don’t let my review deter you from trying it. Maybe I did something wrong. Because seriously, if you go and read the 300 comments from people on the original blog post, I am one of only about 4 people in the world who did not like it. I don’t get it.
- I also tried making my own homemade potato rolls (recipe here), as I often see on the Skinnnytaste website that Gina uses potato rolls for sandwiches or burgers to make them lighter. I’ve never been able to find potato rolls in the grocery stores I frequent, so I thought, “Why not make my own?” Problem: These turned out to be very small. Not much bigger than a tea biscuit. Certainly not big enough for a pulled pork sandwich or hamburger. I’m not sure if it was a yeast issue, or if they were supposed to be this small. But they DID taste quite good, so I’ll call them a success!
- This coming Monday, my kitchen adventures include: Beefy Tomato Macaroni Soup (everyone on Facebook has been sharing the recipe, and I drool every time I scroll by the picture); as well as Beer Bread, courtesy of this Cookie and Kate recipe. Wish me luck on these ones!
- When my winter hours are over and I have to work five days a week, I think it will be these Mondays in the kitchen that I miss the most…
- You know how I know I’m more of a health nut now than I ever thought I would be? Yesterday I got very excited to get my mail. Because in my mail was a new flavour of Shakeology (strawberry), and also the packages of PB2 that I ordered through Amazon (it’s a peanut butter substitute powder that is way lower in calories than regular or natural PB, and is apparently delicious in shakes). I have become a person who gets excited to get health stuff in the mail. Who knew.
- The Olympics are drawing near, and I am excited for them, but I’m also sad. Because Jimmy Fallon’s days on Late Night are drawing to a close, and then he’s going on a little Olympic Hiatus before starting back on the Tonight Show on February 17th. So for the next few weeks, I shall be Jimmy-less. He will leave a gaping hole in my heart until he returns…
- I was a very bad little Sens Fan last night. Almost horrible to admit, but I forgot they were playing at 8PM in St. Louis, and I watched Harry and The Hendersons instead. Actually, I was sleeping through Harry and The Hendersons instead. (not nearly as awesome a movie as I remembered it being…) The good news is that I woke up in time to discover that the game was heading into the third, watched a crazy period that saw my boys storm back from being down 3-1 to take a 4-3 lead, regulation ended with the score tied at 4, and then Ottawa won it in a shoot-out. I suppose it was good that I napped through the earlier part of the evening, or else I’d have never been able to stay up past 11 PM to see the end result!
- Yesterday my sister got tickets to Disney on Ice for her family, my mom & I, and I’m ridiculously excited!! I’ve never been to an ice show that was not a hockey game, and I think it will be so much fun. Can’t wait!!
- I’m also ridiculously excited for this coming weekend. On Saturday, we’re going to my little cousin Grace’s 1st birthday party. Grace was born on the 1st anniversary of my dad’s passing, and I like to think Dad had a little something to do with her arriving on that particular date – giving us a reason to smile & celebrate. I’m looking forward to partying with Grace on Saturday! :)
Well, I think that’s just about all she wrote for today. I’m sitting here wondering where all the snow is that was forecasted for today… it appears the weatherman got ‘er wrong, not a flake in sight!
Happy Wednesday, gang!!