It’s been awhile. I’m still here, just busy. No time on Monday or Tuesday to blog, had the day off yesterday to Christmas shop… and that brings us to today. What else to do after a hiatus like that but to ramble?
- It is amazing the weight that lifts from one’s shoulders once Christmas shopping is finished. I didn’t think I was really stressed out about it all – I had picked up a few things here and there over the past month, I knew exactly what I needed to complete crossing the items off my list, and I booked a day off mid-week to do it all when the stores would hopefully be a little less crazy – but last night, when I finally crawled into bed and mentally ticked off my list again, I was breathing calm and easy again. I woke up this morning feeling lighter. I didn’t even realize it was weighing me down until it was done.
- That calm & light feeling was so welcome this morning. You know, a day of “shop-til-you-drop” sounds like fun in theory, but in reality, it’s not. It’s stressful. There were no major hiccups or problems or crazy crowds, I stuck to my list, and I was very successful - but I was still weary when I got home.
- No rest for the wicked, though!!! I had bark to make and spaghetti sauce to get simmering and presents to wrap and food prep to do for all of this upcoming weekend’s pot lucks and parties and gatherings. I seriously wished for a day off to recover from my day off!
- The good news is that all the baking is now done (at least, I think), I have a good handle on prep for the weekend, the shopping is done, the decorating is done… which means all that’s really left to do is wrap (my fave part), watch movies & shows (my other fave part), and spend time hollying & jollying with family and friends (my absolute fave part). The fun stuff. No more stress stuff.
- Oh, who am I kidding. I’m still going to stress. Probably mostly about getting sick (always a fear of mine during the holiday season), and the weather. I always worry that it’s going to rain on Christmas Eve and melt my snow. The long range is saying I have nothing to worry about, but… you know. Me and my weatherman trust issues.
- This upcoming weekend is literally jam-packed with festive gatherings – from get-togethers with friends, to the Santa Claus Parade, to White Gift & Pageant Sunday at church, to Danica’s 5th birthday celebrations. What this time of year is all about, right?! So excited for all of it.
- On the other hand, next weekend is kind of quiet and tame in comparison. I really have nothing on except for a hair appointment on Saturday. And truthfully, I’m OK with that. It will give me a chance to watch all of the movies and specials I haven’t had time to watch yet, and to just relax, decompress, and let the excitement for the days ahead continue to build…
- Oh. I also need to seriously tune up the guitar and get some practicing in. I need to be Christmas Eve prepared!! So far, I’ve been a big fail on that one.
- I saw Stuntman Stu at Carlingwood yesterday. (A local radio personality, and also the announcer for the Sens games.) Not quite as exciting as seeing Wade Redden at Bayshore a few weeks ago, but still. Pretty cool. (I live in QUYON, people. The famous people are few & far between. ;))
- Those of you who are friends of mine on Facebook are probably already well aware of my sore-cracked-dry-skin hand problem (and the 50+ comments I received when I asked for recommendations on how to treat it. seriously. I thought I might get a few helpful hints. Over 50? Crazy. Alarming was that many of the comments were from people I didn’t even know. Apparently my FB security settings aren’t quite as tight as I thought they were. eep.) ANYways… one of the suggestions I got was to try The Body Shop’s Hemp Hand Protector. It was on sale yesterday, so I picked up two of them (one for home, one for work). Here’s the NEW problem: Many of my helpful commenters told me to make sure and apply whatever cream I decided to try after every time I washed my hands. I pee eight million times a day, guys. So I wash my hands eight million times a day. And this stuff costs $20/bottle. (OK, I got it on sale for $10/bottle, whatever. Still pretty pricey stuff.) And so this morning, every time I wash my hands I feel like I’m washing money down the drain. BAH. Damn crusty sore alligator skin hands!!!!!
- The good news: I’ve been using this Hemp Hand Protector stuff for a little over 12 hours now, and it’s the first time the nasty hack on the corner of my right thumb has started to show signs of healing in over a week. Hallelujah. I guess it’s worth it.
- Tonight, I have my last Zumba class before breaking for Christmas. I’m a little sad, as I’ve really enjoyed this session of Zumba… yet also a little excited to be taking a break. I’ll be substituting it with a work-out at home, and I’ll be getting my new Beachbody program in the mail any day now – I’m excited for the change, I guess!
- PS – I’m freezing my frigging face off today. And I need to buy longjohns. That is all.
OK…that’s enough rambling for one day. Hope you’re all having a good week!! :)