Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Most Intense Grey's Everrrrrr

I'm behind in everything. I'm behind in life. Should it be any surprise I'm way behind in my recaps?

But I haven't forgotten my Grey's. Oh, my Grey's. I didn't get to watch the season finale on it's regular night, like everyone else, because I was at the Taylor Swift concert. Reading everyone's statuses on Facebook afterwards about how intense and crazy it was? I was wishing I'd got to watch it that night.

After a jam-packed long May 2-4 weekend, I finally got to watch it on the holiday Monday. And might I just say...oh. my. GOD.

Grey's has a history of leaving it's viewers shocked and hanging at the end of the season. In the beginning, it was Addison showing up to tell Meredith that her McDreamy was actually McMarried. To her. We've had Burke getting shot and Denny dying after his heart transplant. We've had Cristina getting stood up at the altar by Burke. Oh, and how could we top last season's finale, when the hospital staff discovered their mangled "John Doe" patient was actually George, and just as they start to lose him, Izzie, suffering from cancer, collapses in her new husband Alex's arms? For most of the summer, rumours ran rampant as to whether both George and Izzie died.

Really, what could be more intense than that?

Oh. Okay. A shooter in the hospital. The angry husband of a former patient of Derek's, whom he pulled the plug on, looking for revenge. And shooting up pretty much anyone who crosses his path as he hunts for McDreamy.

Yep, that'll do it.

Within the first 10 minutes of the show, Reed was dead and Alex was wounded. Throughout the 2 hour finale, we lost Charles, along with many members of the hospital staff, and witnessed Bailey cowering before Mr. Clarke, claiming to be a nurse and begging for her life. We thought Lexie got shot, but as it turns out, the SWAT team shot Clarke instead, injuring him. We saw Callie make a deal with the devil - she gave him bandages for his wounds in exchange for him leaving her, Arizona, and their patients alone. We saw the Chief barge back in to the locked-down hospital to take it over again.

And we saw Derek get shot. That crazy mofo actually shot Derek!! In the chest!!

And he did it before Meredith could tell him that she was carrying their child.

All kinds of crazy ensued. With Cristina the only experienced cardiothoracic surgeon on-hand, she proceeded to try to save Derek's life, while making Meredith hide as she worked on him. I swear, the hairs on my arms and neck stood on end when Owen walked into the room where Meredith and April were hiding and gazed in to where Cristina was supposed to be operating on Derek. I knew right then that the shooter was in the room. Owen went in to try to diffuse the situation, and ended up getting shot himself. Meredith finally barged in, pointing out that Mr. Clarke killing her friends and husband was not his eye-for-an-eye. Killing her would be his eye-for-an-eye. Derek killed Clarke's wife. She's Derek's wife. "Kill me! Kill me!" she screamed.

Cristina and Avery to the rescue. They fake-killed Derek so that Clarke would bugger off, which he did, sending Meredith into hysterics, until she realized it was just a trick. They plugged Derek back in, and continued saving his life, while Cristina ordered Mer to get Owen help. "I'm saving your guy. You have to save mine."

Now here's the real heart-breaker. While working on Owen, April notices that Meredith's bleeding. But not from a gunshot wound. Wincing in pain, Meredith explains, very calmly, that she's having a miscarriage.

Dear Lord.

Could it get more intense, more horrifying, more sad than that?

Best season finale ever. Seriously.

What's in store for next season? I'd say some serious therapy. But at the end of it all, we knew that Alex was going to be okay, that Owen was going to be okay, and that Derek was going to be okay. Phewf.

If I'd had to wait all summer to find that out, I might've gone crazy.

No comments: