Wednesday, November 11, 2009

The Newest Canadian TV Star...

I knew from the first moment I saw the Pigott brothers audition on Canadian Idol two summers ago that there was something special about those guys - they oozed charisma and charm, and were talented to boot.

I've gushed about them many times on the Blog - this shouldn't be anything new to my regular readers.

But I'd like to take a moment just to do a little dance and squeal, I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!

Because in the past few months, the Pigotts have had a few big breaks. And if their stars continue to shine as brightly as they have since they were booted from the Idol stage, pretty soon everyone across this great country of ours will know who they are.

Oliver and Sebastian recently released their Pigott Brothers album, "Pigottry". I bought the downloadable version, and have thoroughly enjoyed listening to it. The remastered version is also now available, and their talent for music and songwriting never ceases to amaze me.

And for Sebastian, things in the acting world have kind of blown up. Since Idol, he's had guest roles on several Canadian TV shows, including The Border, The Listener, and Heartland. And this past fall, he's finally landed a permanent home on the popular Canadian show, Being Erica.

I'll admit to having never bothered watching the show until I heard Sebastian was turning up as a regular. But I'm so glad I've started. For Canadian TV, this one is actually pretty awesome - witty, well-written, edgy, sexy, and fun. The show centres around Erica Strange (Erin Karpluk), a young woman who is in a very special kind of therapy. Every week, she meets with her therapist, Dr. Tom, who sends her back in time to relive a regret from her past in order to come back and make positive changes in her present life.

This season, Sebastian was introduced as Kai Booker, the barista working at Goblins, a cafe that Erica frequents. As they have become friends, Erica has discovered that Kai is also in the same kind of time traveling "therapy" as she is, but that he still has many secrets he is not willing to let her in on...Not yet, anyways...

The best part about Sebastian being on the show? His role as the artsy, musical barista has allowed him to incorporate his & Oliver's music into the show. They have currently written two songs for the show, including "Alien Like You", a sweet, melodic song which Kai performed at an open mic night.

Not only am I thrilled to see the brothers doing so well for themselves on the Canadian music & television stages, I'm also excited to have found a television show from this country that I'm actually really interested in...I'm hooked! I can't wait to see each week what adventures Erica is going to find herself on, and to learn more about Kai. (Of course, if he continues to have steamy love scenes like he did last night, I'd keep going back just to watch that, even if the rest of the show was crap. Fortunately, it isn't!)

Tuesdays at 9 PM, folks - it's worth a watch. And how about one more round of applause for Oliver & Sebastian Pigott...So great to see how far they've come!

No comments: