Tuesday, June 16, 2020

COVID-19 Purchases (aka, When I Learned to Love to Shop Again)

Hey friends!

So, we're three months into this awesome new world we live in (hardcore sarcasm, I still hate it), and things are slowly starting to return to normal.  Or some small sense of normal, anyways.  Here in Quebec, most stores are now open, and restaurants have been given the green light to re-open with physical distancing measures in place.  

What hasn't returned yet is my sense of comfort in actually going to any of those places.  I do groceries at the closest small-town grocery store during the evening when I know it's quieter, and I hit the pharmacy at the same time.  We've gotten take out a few times, usually from the chipstand here in town.  And that's pretty much it.  I haven't been to the city, or to Renfrew, or anywhere other than Quyon and Shawville really, since before pandemic times.  And I have no plans to go anytime soon.  I'm going to sit back and let the other eager beavers be the test subjects.  I'm going to give it a few weeks to see if they all survive.

What I have been doing, though, is on-line shopping.  It has always been my preferred method of shopping anyways, but even more so now during the coronavirus era.  Back in the early days, when I was twisted up with anxiety and feeling low, I didn't buy anything.  At all.  For weeks.  But when I returned to work, I told myself if I made it through a week without any meltdowns, I'd reward myself with a hoodie from Ottawa Valley Apparel, which was something I had coveted for a long time but held off from buying.

I made it through that first week back, and then placed my online order.  And then the floodgates opened.  I started filling online carts all over the interwebs, and my memory was refreshed on my Paypal password.  Most of the time, I tell myself to go for it because I'm not doing anything else - no dining out, no movies, no Walmart visits.  Most of the time, I tell myself they are worthy purchases because it's entertainment to keep me busy during these quieter days.  Most of the time, it is stuff I don't need and I should really stop it but... meh.  Weird times.  And the online shopping makes me feel better.

So here, without further ado, are a few of my favourite purchases that I have made during Covid-19:

Hoodie from Ottawa Valley Apparel (and a tank top and mug, too)

Ottawa Valley Apparel - Clothing (Brand) - Pembroke, Ontario ...


Our prime minister made me laugh when, during one of his press conferences, he said the term "Speaking Moistly" and it instantly went down in history.  The mug is one of the few reminders I want to have of these days!

YARN... ALL THE YARN


Covid days means more time to crochet.  I have made everything from bunnies to blankets to pot covers for plants to slippers.  I am anxiously awaiting an arrival of yarn to start making a pocket shawl.  Crochet has been my therapy.

Clothes from Old Navy


I had a gift card to Old Navy, so I picked up a few summer additions for my wardrobe, including the dress above.  They are still floating around in the mail system somewhere, but hopefully I'll get them soon.


T-shirts from East Coast Lifestyle

I ordered this T-shirt with proceeds going to the families of the victims who were killed during the rampage back in April, as well as a few other items.  I love the East Coast Lifestyle tees!!


And I purchased the following from Amazon:

A Journal


I'm still journaling my way through the pandemic.  I filled one journal already, and well on my way with this one.


Doctor Sleep on DVD


Since it doesn't look like I'll be going to the movies anytime soon... I splurged on this DVD for a movie night, as I loved the book but missed the movie last fall in theatres.


Fruit of the Loom Wireless Bra


I have four bras that I bought six or seven years ago at La Vie en Rose and they are getting mighty shabby.  I bought one of these on a whim from Amazon last year and it has been awesome.  So I bought another one!  Slowly replacing the ol' shabby ones. lol


Shampoo & Conditioner


I have been trying to go several days between hair washes but my greasy hair doesn't like it, and I have yet to find a dry shampoo that works well for me.  I decided to try this L'Oreal Extraordinary Clay combo and it has been a winner!  It's not perfect, but my roots are definitely less greasy on Day 2 and sometimes even Day 3 hair.


A League of their Own on DVD


My mom said she'd never seen it, and it's a classic.  I couldn't find it on any streaming platforms, but it was worthy of being added to my DVD collection anyways.  I love this movie.


Firestick

I gave my mom my Chromecast from my TV in my room when I moved in with her at the start of the pandemic.  When I moved home, I left the Chromecast there, and got a new Firestick for my place.  I like the Firesticks better and have one on both TV's at home now.


Crochet Hooks


I have a million crochet hooks, why do I need more?  Well, I've realized the slim aluminum hooks are the ones I prefer, and I needed a few in sizes I didn't have, so... it was cheaper to buy the whole set than just the particular sizes I needed.


Tankini


Will we be allowed to have beach days and pool days this summer?  God, I hope so.  I was leery of buying a swimsuit off Amazon, but this one had good reviews.  They claim it's good quality and true to size.  We shall see, as it has not arrived yet.

Sport Socks


I only have black sport socks and I hate the look of black socks in sneakers on bare legs during the summer.  So I got some white (colourful) ones.


Wine Tumbler


Because I have come to look forward to my weekend drinks...  Pink Whitney or White Claw will taste so much better a cute tumbler, right?


Who need a store to go shopping, amirite??  Online purchases for the win!!!

2 comments:

Debbie Johnston said...

Bathing suit looks nice.Good job Jill

Nicole said...

Is that a watch on the girl with the swimsuits arm? That's a huge watch if so and I like big watches :). Cute swimsuit!! I think I bought one off Amazon a few years ago, but... it wasn't really big enough in the chest area for me. I kind of excel there. haha. I really like that sweatshirt!! I want one... lol... and I'm not Canadian :). I might be funny.