Thursday, December 12, 2019

The Christmas Wishlist: 2019 Edition

Did you guys know I almost abolished adult Christmas presents for this year?  Me. ME.  Jillian Elizabeth Young, the lover of presents.

!!!!!!!??????!!!!!!

Truth be told, I'm finding the present buying aspect of Christmas very overwhelming the past few years.  Spending limits, worries of gifts not "looking like enough", and just trying to come up with unique, useful gifts that will be appreciated stresses the hell out of me.  Even as my nieces and nephews get older, I'm finding them harder to buy for.  I mean, a 14-year-old boy who offers little in suggestions and doesn't want clothes?  What the heck are you supposed to get him?  I miss the days of DVD's and CD's being popular.  At least there was ALWAYS a movie or music you could share!!

There was a time when I used to proclaim that I NEEDED stuff!!  I mean, I'm single, and I'm child-less.  I have not had any showers like most girls my age have had at this stage in life.  My house is filled with hand-me-downs and things I have gradually purchased over the years.  But I'm now at a stage in life where my finances are somewhat OK, and if I want something... well, I just buy it.  Not only that, I really like the idea of just sitting back on Christmas morning with a mug of coffee & Bailey's and watching the kids open their gifts.  Relaxing...

But here's the sad, pathetic truth:  I love waking up in the morning and seeing that pile of gifts sprawled out beneath the tree.  The pretty paper and ribbons and bows... the way they sparkle in the lights of the tree... That vision just about makes me gasp.  If adults don't exchange gifts, that pile diminishes significantly.  I mean, there's five of us.  Take away five people's gifts and... it's a much smaller pile.  That thought hurts my heart.

Sad and pathetic.  I know.

Regardless, I floated the idea this year, and after a discussion, it was decided to go ahead with gift giving as some people had already started their shopping.  The discussion has been shelved for next year.

So this year... The Wishlist lives on!!!  Yes, there have been items that have crossed my mind throughout the year as something I would like, that I would stop myself and think, Save it for The Wishlist.  You don't need this RIGHT NOW.  Without further ado...

Books
Here are the selections for our 2020 Book Club reading list that I require:
Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens
Into the Abyss by Carol Shalsen
The Giver of Stars by Jojo Moyes
One Night Promised by Jodi Ellen Malpas
And one that didn't make the list that I would like to read:  The Chain by Adrian McKinty




Bundt Pan
Do you know how often I see a recipe I'd like to try, and think, "Nope, can't make that, I don't have a bundt pan."  OK, so, maybe not that often.  But still. Seems like a pan that would come in handy from time to time.

Spring-form Pan
See above.


Deep-dish Pie Plate
I have regular glass pie plate, but some recipes call for deep dish.  This past fall, I made a quiche that pretty much overflowed the regular pie plate.  I also figure it would double for a nice dip dish.


Nutcracker decoration
I almost bought this for myself.  I'd like a larger Nutcracker - not necessarily huge, but big enough that it stands in the corner and is noticeable.  I saw one at the Dollar Store last week for $20, and it was relatively nice for a Dollar Store Nutcracker.  But because I put it on the Wishlist, I decided to leave it.  I may regret this.  I have had a Nutcracker on my Wishlist for almost as long as I had a bread maker!!  (Which reminds me... I need to make some fresh bread over the holidays.)


Peppermint Halo Stick
Last year, I got a "Natural Pharmacy" - a little kit of mini sticks of essential oil stuff that is for different reasons.  Digestion, pain release, immunity, that sort of thing. One of them is Peppermint Halo, which has been one of the best remedies I've ever tried for headaches.  I put it at the base of my neck, temples, and dab it all over my head, take an extra-strength Advil liquigel, and usually - usually - it helps.  For someone who has had headaches for years and rarely gets relief from anything, this has been a Godsend.  I've used it enough that my little stick is getting low.  The others still have lots, I just would like to get more Peppermint Halo.


New Water Cup Tumbler with Straw (Starbucks)
I can actually take this off the Wishlist, as I unexpectedly received this already!  My cousin Kenny asked me to crochet a stocking for their baby's first Christmas.  Last weekend, they came to pick it up and brought me a thank you gift for doing it - a set of 5 reusable Starbucks holiday cups with lids and straws! I LOVE them!!! 


The Crochet Stitch Bible by Betty Barnden
I'm the kind of girl who has to follow a pattern when it comes to crocheting.  Following Youtube videos are not my gig.  I need it in print in front of me.  Granted, I have found the Internet to be a very useful tool in this regard, so maybe a whole book isn't really necessary, but it would never go to waste with me.


Colour-changing Mug
I have a mug fetish.  I own far too many mugs.  I don't even have room for them all.  Yet still... I'd love a colour-changing mug!  The kind that changes when hot water is added.  Mugs make my heart happy.


Yarn
I have a stash, and I really don't need more until some of it gets used up, but my gosh, I love yarn.  One of my goals for the New Year is to somehow figure out a way to better store all of my yarn (right now, it is stuffed in boxes and bins in my junk room.)  So maybe what I should have asked for was some kind of shelving or better bin storage for said yarn!!

These are just a few ideas... I've always said I'm easy to buy for, because I love so much.  Cozy socks.  Comfy leggings.  Anything Ottawa Senators or Toronto Raptors related.  Candles.  Coffee.  I'm about to enter Hygge season, so anything that helps in that department goes!!! :)  Gift cards for movies or iTunes... never a bad idea.

What is on YOUR Wishlist this year?




No comments: