Wednesday, March 20, 2019

What's Up Wednesday

I don't think "What's Up Wednesday" is a thing, I just keep trying to come up with fancy ways of saying "here's what's randomly going on in my life right now"...

  • Truthfully, life is pretty mundane these days, and that's kind of just the way I like it.  Nothing exciting going on, just a day-to-day regular ol' routine.  I'm happy when things are just rolling along without any bumps in the road.
  • Last week, I was complaining about a head cold.  Let me tell you, this one is CLINGY.  I'm still blowing my nose and waiting for it to move along.  But the good news is, I was able to taste by noon on Friday.  After going four full days without being able to taste, it very much felt like a "Hallelujah!" moment.
  • I had a dentist appointment on Friday morning, and after that I skipped next door to the pharmacy and grabbed every product I could find to help relieve nasal congestion.  I had tried every "natural" remedy that google turned up throughout the week, and nothing seemed to work.  I dumped nasal spray and decongestant pills and vaporub all on the pharmacist's counter and told him my tale of stuffy nose woe, then asked him what products he recommended would help.  He said, "You just have a stuffy nose and can't taste?  That's all the symptoms?"  I told him yes, and well, my ears are popping and blocked too now but that I thought that was from blowing my nose so much.  He said, "You have an ear infection, you have to get a prescription for an antibiotic."  I could have cried.  I really didn't want to go to the hospital.  He pointed at the stuff I picked out and said, "This will help, it will get you through a few days, but if you don't get an antibiotic, it won't solve the problem."  I decided to just buy the stuff and take my chances.  I really didn't think I had an ear infection.  A couple of shots of Otrivin and some Advil Cold & Sinus liquigels had me tasting in no time.  By Sunday, I was able to eliminate the Otrivin, and I haven't had to take the liquigels since Monday.  I'm still using the Vicks vaporub every night but otherwise, the worst is over.  I'm really glad I didn't bother wasting a day at the hospital to be told I had a head cold. lol
  • Of course, when you google something like this, do you know what the worst case scenario always is?  Cancer.  My friend Brenda is always scolding me for googling and self-diagnosing myself with cancer, so when I told her Thursday night at curling that my stuffy nose might be cancer, she was like, "OMG Jill. Stop."  I was kind of just joking, of course, but it really was bothering me that I had gone so long without tasting.  I honestly don't know if I've EVER gone that long without my sense of taste, and I was starting to worry it was never coming back.  She was laughing at me and saying, "Have you never had a stuffed up nose before?!?!?"  In hindsight, perhaps I was being a little dramatic, but when this girl can't enjoy her food, ain't nothing gonna stop me til I figure it out!!
  • We had our Irish Tea on Saturday, and it was another huge success!  There was a steady stream of people coming in and often we had folks having to wait a bit for a table.  We ended up almost running out of food, and had just enough for a little snack for ourselves at the end.  It was awesome!!
  • After the tea, I just wanted to go home and lie down, but my fam-jam had other plans for me.  Caden had a playoff game in Gatineau, and my mom and sister had shopping they wanted to do at Costco beforehand, so off we went.  I found out that day that I am more like my father than I ever realized.  You see, Dad used to watch my brother's hockey games off by himself usually, sometimes with another quiet dad who would join him, but often on his own, far from everyone else.  I never understood, and thought it seemed anti-social and almost rude of him.  Saturday evening at Caden's game, we had found seats down in the stands and we were right on the dividing line between Caden's team's fans and the opposing team's fans.  The other fanbase had many horns and noisemakers, and they were using them relentlessly.  I don't think I'd have minded if they used them for goals and big saves, but they used them at pretty much every stoppage in play, no matter what was going on on the ice.  And it was driving me bananas.  Before the first period was over, I got up and moved as far away from them as I could, and I felt very Brent-esque.  My advice to hockey parents:  Just say no to horns.
  • There was a sweet ending to this story though.  With the game tied at 1 after regulation, they went to overtime.  Caden's team took a penalty during the overtime, which of course sent the horn-blowers into overdrive.  Things were lining up perfectly for them.  Despite being short a man, however, Caden's team scored while on the penalty kill and won the game!!  It was very exciting and I was so glad the horns were silenced!!  Sweet victory!  The win meant that they have won their division and are now moving on to Regionals.
  • We celebrated with supper at St. Hubert's, and I celebrated being able to taste again by ordering an appetizer, meal, dessert, and a drink!  Woo Hoo!!
  • Sunday was officially St. Patrick's Day, so I was decked out in my green!!  We went to church and out to brunch, then my friend Kerry and I headed down to Gavan's to check out the big party.  The owner of the hotel, Nick, is retiring, and word had got around that this would be his last St. Paddy's Day, so I think everybody was out to make ti a big one for him.  It was PACKED!!  There was a time when I'd have just "drank tru it" and enjoyed the shenanigans, but I wasn't feeling it on Sunday.  I got my pic taken with Nick, said hello to a bunch of people, listened to a few tunes and had a few drinks, and then I was ready to pack 'er in.  Luckily Kerry felt the same way, so we peaced out around 4 PM.  If it really was Nick's last St. Pat's, I was happy to say I was there, but I was just as happy to get home and away from the hordes of people!
  • I watched Big Little Lies on Crave between Sunday and Tuesday, and I really enjoyed it.  I had read the book by Liane Moriarty a few years ago, but I had kind of forgotten the story.  It definitely had me hooked for a few days!  Now to decide what to watch next... I started watching a documentary on missing child Madeleine McCann on Netflix last night, but I'm not sure I'm sticking with it.  Next on Crave, I'm debating The Handmaid's Tale, Castlerock, or catching up on The Big Bang Theory (I haven't watched it in a few years, and I always really liked it).
  • Everyone is rejoicing today because spring has finally sprung!  Well, it will at 5:58 tonight.  We all know I love winter and snow, but even I'm ready for this.  I'm so damn tired of boots.  However, we have now reached the time of year when footwear choices are difficult.  Winter boots, rubber boots, running shoes... they all have their place at certain times of the day lol.  I'm still yanking on those damn winter boots every morning but for sanity's sake, I can't do that for much longer.  Tonight I'm going to celebrate by finally putting away all of my snowman and snowflake decor.  I think it's a little overdue! haha!
Happy 1st day of SPRING!! :)

No comments: