Thursday, March 14, 2019

Random Ramblings (or... Random Complaints)


  • Day 4 of this weird, awful, yet not awful, head cold.  Awful because I haven't tasted food since Monday morning.  Not awful because aside from being plugged up and not being able to taste, I don't feel sick at all.  
  • Last night I was getting really REALLY frustrated by it.  I googled and tried everything in the book.  Massaging my face.  Accupressure on certain spots on my face.  Peppermint essential oil around my nose.  Peppermint tea. Chicken noodle soup.  I stuck my face in the steam rising off the pot of chicken noodle soup.  A hot steamy shower.  NOTHING WAS WORKING.  I still couldn't taste a ding-dong thing.  URGH.
  • I realize that I'm not the first person to have a head cold that has obliterated my sense of taste.  And I also realize there are way worse things going on in the world.  But seriously, if you can't TASTE, what is the point in even LIVING???  
  • I mentioned above using peppermint oil.  I have this Peppermint Halo stick that is supposed to be for headaches.  I was using it to put under my nose.  Well, I don't think it's meant to be applied under the nose, because I think I've kind of burnt the skin there with it.  I have this ugly little red mustache now.  Super cute.
  • I woke up this morning and I think it's marginally better.  I feel like I can almost taste again, if that makes any sense?  Like yesterday I was getting absolutely nothing, but today there seems to be a hint of flavour?  God I hope I'm not imagining it.  It seems so utterly pointless to put food in my mouth when I can't taste it, yet when I don't bother at all my stomach growls with hunger.  
  • I am aware this is all just petty complaining.  Poor Jill can't taste her food, whatever will we do?!  It's not like it would kill me to lose a few pounds to this. I just don't like when my world is off-kilter and it's out of my control.  And it feels very much that way this week.
  • ANYWAYS... enough about my cold.  What else can I whine about?  Oh, how about the fact that I finished the dish cloth I was crocheting last night and it didn't turn out half as nicely as I thought it would.  I really loved the stitch and thought it was looking really good, but in the end, my rows were uneven, and I thought the border would help straighten it up but it didn't.  It looks crooked.  I don't know if my tension changed or if I was dropping/adding stitches, but it just didn't look right in the end.
  • St. Paddy's Day is this weekend, and I'm once again torn between going out to the parties and staying home and vegging.  I think this internal struggle has happened to me every year since I was 25 lol.  I will definitely be celebrating at our Irish Tea on Saturday, but then there's the kitchen party at the Legion on Saturday evening, and the big party at Gavan's on Sunday... both are tempting, but at the same time, so is staying home on the couch watching TV.  To be Irish or not to be Irish, that is the question...
  • We got pretty snow last night.  I know nobody else thinks it's pretty, and yes, even I am looking forward to not having to wear winter boots anymore, but still... I do really think the snow is so pretty.
  • Despite my love of snow, I have realized I realllllly do not enjoy being chest deep in it.  Remember a few weeks ago when I sunk in the snow at my sister's while we were out snowshoeing?  Well, it happened again on Tuesday.  But this time I was alone, on my little lunch hour 'shoe that I've been doing every day.  I lost track of the trail that Ryan made with his snowmobile, and I thought I was still on it but I was not.  Next thing I knew I was up to my neck in snow.  My first reaction, after thrashing around a bit with no results, was:  "Well.  I guess I'll just die here."  Then I took a few deep breaths and came up with a plan.  I had to take off the snowshoes again, throw them back on to the trail, and then fight like hell to get out of that hole I was in.  I even used a nearby tree to cling to as I pulled myself out. I was really glad I was far away along the edge of the bush so that no one at the farm could see what I was doing, because, holy embarrassing.
  • When I got back to the office, I was drenched with sweat.  I looked like a wet scraggly dog.  Upon returning, I used a Vicks vapo stick and stuck it up my nose to try and clear my sinuses.  I have used it several times before without much luck.  For some reason, this time, it caused every hole in my face to leak.  I had tears running down my face, my nose was running... I was just a mess.  And of course, just then, the hot delivery boy (we call him Muffin) came in to drop off a parcel.  OF COURSE HE DID. 
  • It's just been that kind of week. guys.  Just been that kind of week.

2 comments:

Stacy said...

I am anti snow but the snow lastnight was nice and this morning too when I was driving in - it was a thick wet snow that clung to the trees...beautiful...a beautiful goodbye, bring SPRING!

Kerry-Lynn Campbell said...

I really think you should be coming to Gavan's with me! :-)