Wednesday, February 06, 2019

Life Lately

Hey folks!  We made it to February... Woo Hoo!  As a winter lover, it really didn't feel that bad to me, but I know many people are glad to have that long, cold, snowy January in the rearview mirror.

Here's a little of what's been up with me lately...

  • As those of you who know me or follow me on social media know, my Uncle Garry passed away on January 26th.  He was my dad's older brother - my dad was born on Garry's second birthday - and they were very close, the best of friends.  Uncle Garry was also my godfather, and he has always lived just a few minutes away from us, a constant presence in my life. When Dad was sick and in the hospital that last month of his life, Uncle Garry visited pretty much daily, and was always there to drive Mom to the hospital if the weather was bad.  After Dad was gone, Uncle Garry was there when we needed him, checking in and taking care of us.  It's hard to now think of living in a world without both of them.  I am grateful for all of the memories, of Uncle Garry playing guitar and singing, the life of the party.  All of the times we went to the dump with him and Dad, and Uncle Garry would vouch for me and insist on stopping at the treat store even if Dad didn't want to.  I will always smile when I think of visiting him in the hospital on the eve of his 80th birthday.  The minister was visiting at the same time, and asked him when the party would be the next day because he wanted to be thinking of him during the time of celebration.  "6.  Yep.  6 AM.  That's when the party's starting, I'm gonna party all day.  Just like you, Gill." -(nickname given to me by my dad that I actually hate, but I allow it from certain family members, Garry being one of them).  We bid him farewell last Friday, and while it was a tough day, I couldn't help but feel consoled knowing that he and my dad are back together again.  There is also comfort in knowing that he gets to see his son Troy, who passed away suddenly in 2010.  I imagined all of the family up there gathering to welcome him, and they must have been so happy to see him.  Our loss is heaven's gain.  We will miss him.

  • I've still been hunkering and hyggeing.  I've enjoyed quite a few of those days where there's nothing to do but linger over a cup of coffee and work on a puzzle, read, crochet, watch TV or a movie.  This past Monday especially was a delight.  I had a pot of spaghetti sauce simmering on the stove, a loaf of fresh bread baking in the bread maker, and I watched Frozen while I crocheted.  People don't understand why I love winter so much, but those slow, cozy days are truly my happy place. I'm hoping February brings more of those peaceful, cozy days.
  • Something I SHOULD be doing more of is getting out to snowshoe.  My Fitbit is probably wondering right now what's wrong with me, as most days I don't even get to 5000 steps.  However, January was full of legit excuses.  If it wasn't -30 degrees out, it was freezing rain.  No happy medium. Then on Saturday, my left knee started acting funny and it's still bugging me.  It's like stiff and sore, and when I bend it it screams with pain. So no, I haven't been out snowshoeing for fear of making it worse.  And yes, I still am planning to make it to the gym - RIGHT ACROSS THE ROAD FROM ME - someday.  Maybe next week.  *sigh*
  • As I mentioned in past posts, I started watching Game of Thrones on Crave.  I'm now into Season 3, and still, it's not something I am dying to watch.  It's never really hooked me.  There are a few things happening now that I'm a little more interested in, but I feel like I can't really get sucked in to a storyline because there are so many of them, and each episode follows so many different trails.  I'd like to see more of Robb Stark and his new bride.  I'd like to see more of Daenerys' storyline.  And I kinda have the hots for this Gendry guy that's tagging along with Arya.  But... yeah. So far, it just doesn't seem to be my kind of thing.
  • What I HAVE been enjoying is Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee on Netflix.  It's kind of a show you don't have to be glued to, so I'd put it on while I worked on a puzzle or crocheted.  I gained a greater appreciation for Jerry Seinfeld and many of the comedians he's had on the show.  It kind of makes me want to go back and watch Seinfeld all over again.
  • My great January accomplishment:  I actually finished 11/22/63 by Stephen King before the end of the month.  Miracle, I tell you.  An absolute MIRACLE.  And it's a story that has stuck with me.  I think about it a lot.  It might be one of the most thought-provoking books I have ever read. That said, I have moved on to our next book club book, Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt, and I'm just flying through it.  I'm already half-way through that book, it's a breeze compared to King.  It is just stunning to read of the hardships people went through, and to think how they survived on so little.  It makes me grateful for the wonderful childhood I had and the good life that I have now.
  • I am having a really weird problem with food lately.  I'm not even sure how to describe it, but here it goes... I get an idea in my head of something I want to eat.  For instance, last week, cheeseburger soup (I had a recipe that sounded delicious).  Or, on the weekend, chicken fajitas.  So I make whatever it is I'm craving, and eat it, and then I can't stand the thoughts of it afterwards.  I had leftover soup on my lunches last week and it made me gag.  I had leftover fajita stuff, and it's sitting in my fridge untouched because I can't stomach the thought of it.  This is food that I LIKE.  Why suddenly am I so turned off by it?  I just don't understand.  It seems if it isn't a grilled cheese or chips and dip or something totally junky, I can't do it.  It makes me worried for myself.
  • And last, but not least... I've heard a lot of negative about Maroon 5 at the Super Bowl Half-Time Show, but give me that show any day.  When Adam Levine peeled the final layer off, I got butterflies.  I could seriously, legitimately, look at this all day.  The End.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

I have no idea what snowshoeing is... but I've seen your pictures and it looks fun.

I really didn't see the Super Bowl halftime show... Mark got drunk (first time in a LONG time) and I was making fun of him. I did, however, see Adam take his shirt off. He has A LOT of tattoos. I really wasn't interested in watching Super Bowl this year.

That sucks on the food ordeal. At our local Amish store, there's this stuff called Bacon Onion dip mix. Mark used to use it in all kinds of things. When I got pregnant with Addison the thought made me want to gag let alone the smell of it. To this day, it still does absolutely NOTHING for me.