Thursday, February 28, 2019

Contemplating Lent

Well, it's that time of year again.  Lent is right around the corner, and I'm trying to decide what my Lenten practice will be for 2019.

In recent years, I've given up sugar and artificial sweeteners (that one was SO hard!!), potatoes (not as hard, but became an issue when the chipstand opened and I had to order onion rings instead of fries with everything...I got so sick of onion rings lol), and last year, I gave up chips and one item of clothing from my closet each day.  I also always contribute coins each day to my Lenten coin box that they hand out at church.

This year, I've been toying with several ideas.  I know it may not be a super spiritual or religious connection, but I often try to use Lent as an opportunity to better myself health-wise.  And Lord, do I need that this year.  I have become a junk food addict, and while I've tried to get my butt moving a bit more in 2019, it's still a rare day that I hit 10,000 steps on the ol' Fitbit.  I need something to jump-start a more healthy, active way of living, and if Lent is the reason, then so be it.

I toyed with the idea of trying a Keto diet for 40 days.  But I looked up the Keto diet, and dudes, there ain't no way in hell I can do that.  Carbs are my boyfriend.  I'm having a hard time getting ANY vegetables into my diet these days, and I'm not a huge meat fan to begin with.  The little good food I DO eat is fruit, and I can't have that on Keto.  So... no dice.  No way I could do it.

I was also thinking I would do the closet cleaning challenge again, removing one item from my closet a day for the duration of Lent - because my closet needs a SERIOUS clean-out in the most desperate way. However, my friend Lindsay says she wants to come over and Marie Kondo my closet for me (with me?) - and I know that will get the job done a lot faster.  So I think I will save that for her, because she seems to get some kind of weird joy out of this? I have no idea why. ;)

So, after much ruminating and thought, I have decided to do the following:

  • Give up chips/junky snacks.  It's rare for an evening to go by without me dipping into the junk that I have piled up on top of my fridge.  I want to clear that fridge off, and rid my life of salty snacks.  No more chips and dip.  No more Doritos.  No more Cheesies.  GONE.
  • Start my day with 30 minutes of activity, 6 days a week.  I have loads of options for half-hour workouts on DVD, and is 30 minutes really too much to ask?  I heard them talking about a study on the radio the other day where they said starting your day with 30 minutes of moderate exercise can help decrease high blood pressure and often even eliminate the need to medicate for high blood pressure.  I figure it's worth a shot, and I spend half an hour each morning scrolling through Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.  It will be better to put the phone down and just get up and get some steps in.
Now, how will this go?  The chips I know I can handle.  I've done it before.  I did it last year.  And it's not a huge adjustment, like going Keto would be.  It's just ridding my life of evening snacking, which is something I really need to do anyways.  That part, I think I can keep under control.

The exercising part?  Eeek.  That's the one I'm worried about.  I decided to "test drive" it this week, and I have yet to make myself get up early to work out. LOL!  Not once!!  I am not a morning person, and this week has been so cold, crawling out from my warm, cozy haven is a chore.  That said, I did bust out one of those dusty old videos on Tuesday after work and I actually really enjoyed doing it again.  Last night I had Pound, and tonight I have curling.  So I have actually exercised more this week than I have in ages... just not first thing in the morning.  BUT... the mornings are getting brighter, and surely to God this cold snap will be the last for this winter.  By next week, I should be just skipping out of my bed at 6 AM like a spring daisy, right?  Right?!?

We'll see, but the scientific side of me wants to put the "30 minutes of moderate exercise first thing in the morning" theory to the test.  I am on medication for high blood pressure, and I'd like to see if I could ease off of it a little.  This isn't even about wanting to lose weight, really.  It's about wanting to feel better in my own skin, and not feeling sluggish, having sore knees, and worrying about my heart health.  If I lost some weight, great, but I just want to FEEL good again, even just a little bit better than I do now.  I already set my alarm for half an hour before I have to get up, so it's not that huge a leap to just get up and exercise instead of lying in bed for half an hour "waking up" and checking my phone.

I can do this.

I CAN DO THIS!!!

Have you been thinking about Lent?  What are thinking of giving up, or mindfully doing, for 40 days?

1 comment:

Annsterw said...

You definitely got this Jill!!! I am going to give up sugar and eat no more than 1400 calories a day...I am sure it will kill me but I have already started for health anyway and this will ensure that I stick to it for an extended period at least! Annster's Domain