Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Random Tuesday: Life Lately

It's crazy how fast July is flying by!  I just want to hit the pause button!  Here's a little of what's been going on in my world lately:
  • Heat Wave -  It's been a hot, dry summer so far.  The heat wave seemed to start the week before Canada Day and we've only had a few days of reprieve since then.  My favourite part of the heat wave (and I'll get shot for saying this) is not having to cut grass!!  My grass is brown and crispy and I haven't had to cut it in weeks.  But we've all been doing rain dances, I know how important it is for farmers (and my employers!!).  We got some rain over the weekend and again last night, and hopefully there's more on the way.  
  • Canada Day - Canada Day weekend was such a fun summer weekend, despite the ungodly heat.  I had my Lucas/Platt relatives, along with my own fam-jam, over on June 30th to celebrate Canada Day Quyon-style, with the BBQ, parade, and fireworks on in our little town.  I would normally have hit up the after-party as well, but it was so sticky, sweaty, gross hot that I ended up just going home and lying on the floor in the AC.  The next day, we all went to my Aunt Marion & Uncle Eric's home on the Ottawa River, and we played in the water and went for rides on Big Mabel (the big couch he pulls behind his boat), and watched fireworks from all around at dusk.  It was a great weekend of family time, and I very much enjoyed it.


  • Swimming - I feel like I've spent more time in the water this year than I have since I was a kid.  I guess that's thanks in large part to the heat wave!  My BIL's parents live just behind me and they have a pool, so I've been taking Caden and Danica with me to bob around in the water any evening we have the chance.  It's also become our Sunday afternoon activity as well.  I just love being in the water!
  • Mont Cascades - I took a day off last week to go to Mont Cascades with a group of family and friends.  I hadn't been in there in years, and it was fun to re-visit the waterpark.  It's not as big and elaborate as Calypso but the lines aren't as long, and it's not nearly as crowded, so that's nice.  We had a great day, despite my chafed inner thighs and being exhausted from climbing mountains all day! haha!  
  • Movie Date - It has become a tradition for my friend Lindsay and I to take her little guy, Sam, on a date to McDonald's around his birthday.  This year, we didn't get to go in April because of Linds being on a strict diet as she waited for gallbladder surgery and also having a newborn at home.  But now that Lainey is a bit older and the gallbladder is gone, we were finally able to take Sam on his date, and we threw in a trip to see The Incredibles 2 as well.  It was such a fun evening!  My only problem was trying to keep awake in those comfy, luxurious recliners they have a the Colisseum!  I think I dozed off a few times!
  • Amazon Prime -  Oh, it finally happened.  I've finally been sucked in.  Yesterday, I signed up for Amazon Prime to take advantage of Prime Day.  Why?  I DON'T KNOW.  I don't NEED anything!!!  But I did it anyways, and here we are.  I've been wanting to sign up just for the video streaming feature, so of course I had to order a Fire stick to do that, and a whole bunch of other crap I don't need. *sigh*  I need help.
  • 13 Reasons Why - Actually, 13 Reasons Why is the reason why.  I watched the show over the past few weeks, and I just wanted to buy the book.  I just wanted to read the book to compare it to the show.  So I go on to Amazon to buy the book and realize it's Prime Day, and the next thing you know, I'm down the Amazon rabbit hole.  It's all 13 Reasons Why's fault.
  • Things I'm Reading, Watching, and Listening to:  I finished The Light Between Oceans by ML Stedman a few weeks ago, and then started The Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi.  It was the book selected for Jimmy Fallon's The Tonight Show Summer Reads book club.  If Jimmy Fallon starts a book club, you can bet I'm joining!  As I mentioned, I finished watching 13 Reasons Why on the weekend (totally gutted me, especially the final episode of Season 2. still giving me panic attacks thinking about it) and now I'm on to Riverdale Season 2.  I loved the first season - cheesy teen fun - but Season 2 so far is beyond ridiculous.  It's basically just background noise for me while I crochet.  I finally watched the movie Lady Bird, too.  I've been wanting to see it since all the Oscar buzz, but as with most Oscar-worthy movies, I just felt meh about it.  Some funny moments, some poignant moments, but nothing I'd write home about.  And what I'm listening to is The Glorious Sons and Greta Van Fleet mostly!  Downloaded albums by both bands a few weeks ago and they occupy much of my summertime playlist.  I'm also looking forward to using the Amazon Prime music feature too.
  • Ray Emery - On a sad note, it was heart-breaking to hear on Sunday that former Sens goalie Ray Emery passed away tragically in a drowning accident near his hometown of Hamilton.  If you look back into the archives of this blog, you'll find many Sens posts that revolved around Razor.  He was a fan favourite during his short time here, especially during the 2007 run to the Stanley Cup Finals, and I have so many fun memories of cheering him on and loving his crazy antics.  The game when he fought both Martin Biron and Andrew Peters back-to-back will go down in Sens history and live forever in infamy. Broke my heart to hear he was gone, and at such a young age, only 35 years old.  Rest peacefully, Ray.

Well, that's about it for now!  Hope you're all enjoying a great summer as well, with still lots of fun to come! :)

No comments: