Wednesday, May 30, 2018

May Happenings

It's been a long time since I last blogged, dudes.  Here's some of the random that has happened thus far in May...

  • Oh my gosh, you guys.  May just KILLS me.  I know everyone loves the onset of nicer weather so I try to keep my complaints to a minimum, but work just goes beserk in May and I don't always handle it very well.  I know it's our bread-and-butter, and being busy is a very good thing, but some days I feel like I'm drowning.  Just can't keep my head above water.  I've been counting down the days... almost there... ready to say "see ya" to this ridiculous month!!
  • Because work is often overwhelming and stressful this time of year, I try to spend my free time doing things I really and truly enjoy.  It makes the day easier to get through when there's something to look forward to.  So, no surprise, earlier in the month I squeezed in a trip to my happy place: the movie theatre!  I honestly can't remember the last time I'd been to a movie that wasn't a kids movie.  I was really intrigued by the promos and trailers I'd seen for the film "A Quiet Place" (and also a huge fan of John Krasinski, who wrote, directed, and starred in it), so I rounded up my friend Sara and we went to see it.  It was INTENSE.  I felt like I didn't breathe for an hour and a half.  Like, at all.  But it was so good.  And scary, but not in the way that I was afraid to go home to an empty house and sleep with all the lights on.  More of a psychological thrill.  I can't wait to make Lindsay watch it for our next Scary Movie Marathon! (*insert evil laugh here*)
  • I planned too many weeknight events for this time of year.  The hermit side of me wonders what the hell I was thinking, signing up for an 8-week art class with Shannon on Thursday nights, while also agreeing to play 3-pitch on Wednesday nights.  Don't get me wrong - I enjoy both.  (art more than ball, but don't tell my teammates ha!)    But I need those quiet evenings at home to keep me sane.  What do I do on those quiet evenings at home?  Lately, they involve crocheting and watching Downton Abbey and reading.  Some might call that boring.  I call it bliss.
  • A little more on the crocheting:  After struggling way too long to finish up a giant granny square blanket that I made for my nephew in Ottawa Senators colours to match his room (part of his Christmas gift), I finally got it done early in May and moved on to a chevron blanket for a friend who was having a baby. It was SUPER fun to make, and I got it done quickly.  I love how it turned out, and I can't wait to visit her and give it to her.  I then moved on to making some dish clothes for a blog pal (Nicole... I need your address lol), which took just a few evenings to complete.  And last night I started a different pattern for a blanket, intending it to be a Christmas gift for one of my nieces.  We'll see how it goes.  But my gosh, I love crocheting.  My mom told me I won't do it so much in the summer when the weather is nicer, but I'm not so sure about that!  It's definitely become my stress reliever.  (Sens blanket is below.  Second one I've done of this pattern, and just as crooked as the first.  No idea why they keep turning out that way, I followed the pattern to a T!)
  • A little more on Downton Abbey:  Took me a while to get into it, but I'm so enjoying this show.  My aunt described it as: "A real treat...like a trip to England", and I feel this way about it too.  I've just started the 4th series, and love keeping an eye on it while I crochet.  Am I fitting the bill of an old lady, crocheting while watching Downton Abbey? Ya, probably.  But I don't even care.
  • A little more on the reading:  I've been re-reading To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee for our book club.  (It's our December book, but I've been working through all our book club books in order as fast as I can, because last year I didn't finish a few in time for the meetings and I hated that feeling).  I knew I had read the book before, I'd have said in high school, maybe Grade 7 or 8.  And yet, from the moment I picked up the book, it's my Grade 6 teacher Mrs. McRae's voice that I can hear reading it aloud in my head.  Funny how memories can be triggered like that.  I'd forgotten most of the story, so I've been enjoying reading it.  Almost finished, and then I'll be on to other books on my shelf that I've been dying to dive into.  Just in time for summer, yay!!
  • Remember when I declared this "The Year of Saving"?? Well, so far, big fat failure in that department.  Between Tupperware and iTunes and re-vamping my spring/summer wardrobe and Amazon tricking me into thinking I need things, I can't seem to stop BUYING SHIT.  ugh.  As soon as I pay off my credit card, another order goes on it.  Vicious cycle.  Maybe I'll do better in June...
  • We've had some really nice family time in the month of May; some great family BBQ's and gatherings, especially on Sunday afternoons.  Mother's Day, in particular, was a special one, with both our family and my BIL's family gathering for a shish-kebab BBQ and a cake that my nephew won at his school's Cake Draw.  Such a great day!
  • Oh, Harry & Meghan's wedding!  How could I forget about Harry & Meghan's wedding!! That occupied a lot of my thoughts throughout the month of May.  I was so excited leading up to it, and it did not disappoint.  I got up at 5 AM that morning, snuggled up on the couch with a coffee, and had an absolute blast watching the guests arrive, the big moment when Meghan stepped out of that car in that stunning dress, the Mulroney twins carrying her train up the steps into the church (and one of them stealing the show with the look of sheer excitement on his face when those trumpets announced "she's here!")... the ceremony, the preacher who had the Royals' eyes popping out of their heads, the gospel choir singing "Stand By Me", the kiss, the carriage ride through Windsor... every single moment.  I loved it!  LOVED it!!



  • The week following Prince Harry & Meghan's wedding, we attended the wedding of my cousin Maya & her groom Simon.  It was a beautiful wedding and a beautiful day.  I felt like I was watching a real-life Princess!  
  • Without even realizing it, I think I've been craving change in my home.  (weird? yes.  I hate change!!) A few weeks ago, on a quiet and dreary Sunday afternoon, I just out of the blue decided to change my living room around.  My living room has been basically the same set-up since I moved in there, except for at Christmas.  It's been a little odd getting used to it, but I'm set up better now to be able to crochet in my chair while facing the TV.  Then, over the long weekend, I made a change in my bedroom on a whim.  I have a quilt of my Grandma's that was given to me when she passed away, and it's been in storage ever since.  I pulled it out and threw it on my bed just to see how it looked.  I kind of loved it.  So now I need to get some little decorative pillows to complete the look, but overall, I'm very happy with the change!  It's nice and bright for summer.
Well, I could continue rambling on - May has been a BIG month! - but I think that's enough for one day.  Hopefully I'll be back again before the end of June. ;)

2 comments:

Rev. Nancy said...

So glad to see you're blogging again, Jillian. Your quilt is amazing. I love mine I got for my Ordination from you folks.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.