Tuesday, August 19, 2008

I'm Back With A Little Idol Recap

Hey everyone!

So I'm back from an enjoyable (but never quite long enough) vacation. I had lots of fun, decent weather, and plenty of time to relax and de-stress.

I jumped back into the frey yesterday, so I've been a little busy playing catch-up. I think I can spare a few moments, though, to quickly run through last night's Top 5 episode of Canadian Idol, especially since it was my favourite episode since Sebastian was voted off.


Last night, the Idol competitors were doing Beatles tunes, chosen for them by the judges. I have no idea who this country is going to send home, because they were all really awesome. I'd say it's a toss-up between Mitch & Drew, but I honestly don't know. I really had a soft spot for Mitch last night, because he sang one of my favourite songs by the Beatles, "In My Life". (Actually, Chantal Kreviazuk's cover is my favourite). Also, he seems to have an extremely strong voting contingent (he's never been to the bottom 3), so hopefully Mitch survives another week.

Drew was handed the song "While My Guitar Gently Weeps", and with him closing out the show after seeing the 4 other guys absolutely smoke their performances, I was pretty sure he was going to pale in comparison. He's never been one of my favourites, and I always feel that he's lacking something up there, but I can't quite pinpoint what it is, exactly. However, last night, Drew didn't disappoint. He had some big acts to follow, and I think he measured up quite nicely. Easily, my favourite Drew performance, and he was pretty wicked playing lead guitar, too.

As far as I'm concerned, Earl, Theo, and Mookie should be safe tonight. Earl kicked things off with "With a Little Help From My Friends", and it was really, really amazing. He was so passionate and soulful, you'd swear he'd written the song himself. He also go a standing O from the judges, along with the rest of the audience.

Mookie, whom I've been pulling for ever since Sebastian was forced to depart, sang "Come Together", and he completely re-worked it into a Mookie Original. It was pretty cool, and I just love Mookie's voice. I wasn't too fussy on his wardrobe choices, but I guess it was appropriate for the week's theme. I've thought all along that Mookie looks like a Beatle, so he just seemed to be right at home on the stage last night!


And then we had the judges' darling, Theo, who was back behind the piano where he seems most comfortable, and he gave a magnificent rendition of "The Long and Winding Road". With an orchestra backing him and Theo's training in classical music and opera, he really nailed it. I couldn't think of a better song for Theo to sing on Beatles night.

All in all, the judges made excellent choices, as each song seemed to fit the particular performer like a glove. Of course, they patted themselves on the backs all night, reminding the viewers repeatedly how awesome they were at matching song with singer, and how they could probably chuck the whole competition and make a record with the 5 remaining guys just doing Beatles songs, and it would soar to the top of the charts.

After last night's show had wrapped, I had to agree with them. I know I'd buy it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice to see you back blogging Jill - kind of disappointed that it was about Canadian Idol (haha - dont watch it ya know) and not on some of your adventures - you might have mentioned the poutine at the wedding or us twisting around all over Gatineau...haha - im positive that Friday night's dinner topped off your vacation and that was the best part..haha!

Stacy

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you didn't do a Flyers blog with our first play-off game being tonight in Quyon at 8:00

Jill said...

GO FLYERS!!!

There, I wrote about you. Win tonight & I might actually devote some main-page space towards you.

Anonymous said...

Looks like it might just be cold to play tonight, but at least it won't get rained out (unless we get some scary weather at like 4:00like lastnight...) but im crossing my fingers for ya's - GO FLYERS - there another shoutout for Kenny and his team - thats like 3 mentions of them now!

Stacy