Thursday, February 25, 2021

Random Thursday Rambles

  • I did not have a stellar day yesterday.  I *should* have been having a fabulous day, because it snowed and I love snow and it was like perfect snowglobe snow.  We haven't had a lot of snow days this year, so you would think this would put me in a fabulous mood.  But I was irritable and felt unhinged and I don't like feeling that way.  My mood ruined my beautiful snow day.
  • When I got home, I made the decision to put on my snow pants and toque and mitts and get out and play in it.  Turn the frown upside down, so to speak.  It was perfect wet sticky snow for building a snowman.  I haven't made a snowman in years, and may I just say... it was harder than I remembered. LOL!  I envisioned making this big, tall snowman, but my final result came up to about my waist.  He's a bit of a peewee.  BUT I did have fun, and crawling around in the snow seemed to shake some of my irritableness and crustiness out of me, so mission accomplished.

  • Anyone who knows me well knows that my favourite "snow day" meal is macaroni, tomato soup & cheese whiz.  It's straight from my childhood and it is pure comfort food to me.  Last night I decided to try an Instant Pot version - not quite the same, but oh my gosh it was delicious.  So creamy!!  It also helped to turn my frown upside down!

  • Speaking of the Instant Pot... holy smokes, I love this appliance!  I have used it SO much this winter that I can't believe I had it in the box for 6 weeks before I even took it out.  Honestly, when I bought it, I worried it was a waste of money and another big, bulky kitchen appliance that I didn't have room for and would gather dust, but I can certainly say I've got my money's worth out of this thing in just a few short months.  I use it 3-4 times a week, and I haven't ever been disappointed with what I've made in it.
  • This weekend, I'm going to try making rice pudding in it.  Rice pudding is not something we had often when I was a kid, nor is it something I consider a "favourite", but I have had a hankering lately.  I've also had a craving for just a good ol' tomato macaroni soup, which I'm sure I could also make in the Instant Pot, but I found a simple stovetop recipe that I'm going to give a go sometime this weekend.  I haven't given the dutch oven a workout in a long time, it's due.  Pandemics suck big time, but I must say I really enjoy these long winter weekends of hunkering down, no plans, and having so much time to play in the kitchen.
  • Last weekend, I finally - FINALLY - finished reading Midnight Sun.  Hallelujah!!  I haven't been bogged down by a book in quite some time, but holy cow that was a struggle for me to get through.  I'm not sure why, because when I read the reviews on Goodreads afterwards, it appears most fans of the Twilight series LOVED it, and consider it so much better than the original from Bella's point of view.  Not I.  The chapters were SO long and tedious as Edward muddled through every little detail in his mind, every little feeling, every little action and movement.  I truly did not enjoy it one bit, and I was so relieved to be finished it.
  • Thankfully, my friend Lindsay gave me a light romance for Valentines Day, and it has been so nice to sit down and read a bit of girly fluff this week!  Chapters are quick and painless, I can read five or six of them before falling asleep at night, and while it may not win a literary prize, it is exactly what I needed after Midnight Sun.  
  • On deck for this weekend, aside from the aforementioned recipes: changing up my manicure (I'm so enjoying my Gelmoment nail polish!  My rewards order from my party hasn't shipped yet, but I am so excited to get all of those goodies in the next week or two!). I have to get a few groceries at some point... I've been avoiding our local grocery store because of a positive Covid case of an employee in recent weeks, but I can't avoid much longer. I'm thinking of maybe having a Toy Story marathon?  Not sure yet.  But Toy Story is one of the movies on my bucket list, and I have never seen the newest one, so I thought it might be fun to watch them all. Meanwhile, I'll be crocheting.  I have pocket shawl orders to keep me busy for months, so I'll keep at it!
I think that's it for today!  I hope you are all doing well and having a good week! :)

2 comments:

Rev. Nancy said...

I'd love your recipe for macaroni and cheese in the Instant Pot! I haven't tried pasta yet. Thanks.

soccerfansy said...

https://www.sport2bar.com
https://www.voetbalshirtoutlet.com
https://www.voetbaLtenuenl.com