Thursday, September 19, 2019

Thoughts on Thursday


  • I have come to the realization that I'm anxious for September to be over.  Because September makes me anxious.  It starts out with the back-to-school icks, and I don't like this in-between time when it's not really summer anymore but not quite fall yet.  Add to that, our student minister at our church is done his time with us at the end of the month, and I'm dreading the farewell.  I'm not a fan of wishing time away, but I would really like to fast-forward to October right now.
  • It's going to be 28 degrees out this weekend.  I think I whined about this earlier this week, but like, seriously.  Get the F out of here.  I had kind of anticipated a "warm fall" since our summer started late and didn't seem to last very long, but man.  I'm ready to wear all the cozy things and pumpkin spice it up.  I can't do that in shorts and a tank top!
  • Despite the warm forecast ahead of us this weekend, I'm absolutely delighting in seeing the trees start to turn.  Not a lot yet - but there's just this burnished reddish glow that's starting to seep in here and there.  The promise that "the big show" is just around the corner.  Nothing brings me greater joy than the beauty of fall colours!
  • Okay, that's not true.  My greatest joy is a thick, fresh, untouched blanket of sparkling white snow. But I can't be wishing for that yet, so for now, the fall foliage will keep me satisfied.
  • I think I have to put myself on another spending freeze.  It will be time for Christmas shopping again before we know it, and I here I am with no cushion built up in the bank account.  AGAIN.  Lately, it's been everything from jewelry (see yesterday's post), Tupperware, fall items for my wardrobe, yarn, and a Halloween costume.  My goal for next month is no credit card, no online shopping.  We'll see if I can tough it out.
  • So, as I mentioned the other day, I am currently watching the Netflix limited series "Unbelievable".  I'm still in the early stages, because when I sit down to watch it at night, I keep falling asleep.  (Not because it's not interesting, that's just what I do when I watch TV at night).  In any case, this series is only 8 episodes, so it won't be long until I am ready for a new show to watch.  Any recommendations?  Here are the candidates I've been thinking of:
    • Peaky Blinders
    • The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
    • Brooklyn Nine-Nine
    • The Ranch
  • I might also have to stall these plans for watching a new show, though, because I just found out that Season 4 of Outlander is hitting Netflix in October.  Hellooooo Jamie!!
  • I'm struggling lately to maintain the few healthy habits I have.  I don't know if it's because it's darker in the mornings, but man oh man, I'm having a hard time dragging my ass out of bed to do my little half-hour workout in the mornings.  I've started giving myself a "pass" on Mondays, because, well, Mondays suck.  But the past two weeks I've also come up with excuses for Tuesday too.  ergh.  Add to that, I am CONSTANTLY craving junk food these days.  Cheeseburgers.  Pizza.  Subway.  Shawarma. Onion Rings.  Poutine.  Chips & dip.  Chocolate chip cookies.  McDonalds.  Thoughts of any or all of the above swirl through my head constantly.  Lord love a duck.
  • Can someone please explain to me why, as fall settles in, I get this crazy desire to watch scary stuff?  I DON'T LIKE SCARY STUFF.  And yet, here I am, on the brink of October, and starting to get that urge again.  I promised myself that this year I wouldn't do the scary, at least not as much as last year.  Last year, I burnt myself out on it and by the end of October I was literally frazzled and frayed from all of it.  So why am I compiling lists of scary things I want to watch in the coming weeks?  Don't do it, Jill.  DON'T DO IT.
That's all I've got for today, folks. It's almost the weekend!! Hooray!! :)

1 comment:

Stacy said...

Watch The Ranch - you wont be disappointed!