Tuesday, August 20, 2019

The Weekend Rundown

This past weekend was one of those weekends when I wished I had a weekend to get over my weekend...  But oh, the fun I had!!  

Friday I got off work a little bit early and took advantage of an hour out on the deck reading.  I'm so enjoying the book Ask Again, Yes by Mary Beth Keane but I'm struggling to find time to actually read.  So it was nice to get that hour on the deck while the sun was shining.

As 5 o'clock rolled around, I went in and got ready as I was heading out to a trivia night at the Little Red Wagon, a lovely little winery just up the road in Shawville.  My friend Lolly had recruited a bunch of us to join her for the fun, and I was quick to jump at the opportunity.  Not only did we laugh a lot (as I knew we would!!), we enjoyed an amazing meal (seriously, drool-worthy), delicious pitchers of wine spritzers, and we were pretty darn good at the trivia too... riiiight up until the last question lol.  We were in first place going into the final question, which was a two-parter worth 5 points each.  We got both wrong, and dropped to second-last place. Whoops. LOL!  Overall, it was a fabulous evening and I'm hoping there will be another one in our future!

Saturday morning I awoke to a drizzly, dreary day.  To most, this would signify a crappy summer Saturday, but as I have mentioned a few times, I was kind of hoping for a rainy weekend day so that I could have a summer movie marathon.  (It always seems a waste of a beautiful day to sit inside and watch movies, hence why I hope for a rainy one!!)  The rain held off long enough for me to take another hour on the deck late morning to read, and then I settled in for the afternoon with my crocheting, a bowl of cheese popcorn, and the movies Rookie of the Year and The Sandlot.  I hung in for the first one, but fell asleep during the second lol.  That was OK, though, because I needed a nap before heading out for another fun evening out!!

This time, I joined friends Lolly and Missy as we headed to Cobden to the Whitewater Brewing Co. for dinner, and then we found an ice cream spot for dessert as well.  After dinner and ice cream, we scooted back over to the Quebec side to Campbell's Bay, where Summerfest was being held.  The reason?  The band Little Bones was playing that night, and when there's a Hip tribute band playing in my vicinity, you can bet I'm going to be there!!  My expectations were low - I've been a Hip fan for a long time, and three years after seeing them perform live for the final time, I didn't really think this band would measure up.  Gord Downie is irreplaceable.  But I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised.  This dude really did sound like Gord.  And his band was just as good.  They played every Hip song under the sun throughout their two sets and encore, even a few that The Hip themselves never played live (like 38 Years Old), and if I closed my eyes, I could almost pretend it was really them.


The only downfall of Little Bones?  They started late, which meant a much later night than I expected.  And yes, I am an old lady who doesn't like staying up past 11 PM anymore.  lol!  I feel hungover the next day when I'm tired, even if I've had little to nothing to drink.  (This time, I had 3 Michelob Ultras... so no, not enough to even feel a buzz.  They were not my reason for feeling blech,)

Regardless, I got up Sunday morning and went to church, then headed to Mom's for lunch afterwards.  My brother and his kids were there, so we hung out for a bit before Neve and I decided to go in for a nap.  Noah joined us, and while he never fell asleep, he played quietly with his toys while the girls snoozed.  It was much needed for me!!  Man, I can't handle late nights anymore!!  When I woke up, we had supper and then went for ice cream.  After that, I went home and started watching a doc on Netflix about Woodstock but I was falling asleep again so I packed 'er in for the night very early.

I was totally out of sorts yesterday.  I had a naggy little headache that bugged me all day, and spent the afternoon yawning my head off.  (I HATE yawning at work, it feels so rude.)  I had big ideas of making stuffed pasta shells for supper, but when my brother texted and said they were picking up corn for supper, I decided to forfeit my pasta plans for a night when I felt more like it.  I went to Mom's for corn and sausage on a bun, and then back home to do laundry and finish that Woodstock documentary.  It was another early night.

Today - back to normal!  My head's still been achey but it's better than yesterday, and the hungover feeling is finally gone.  The rest of this week is going to be all about the crochet!!  I would like to submit some entries in Shawville Fair this year, but I am not as prepared as I had hoped to be.  So I'm going to see what I can get done during the next week.  We shall see!

No comments: