Wednesday, November 14, 2018

November To-Do's: Coming along nicely...

Is it really already the middle of November??  HOW did that happen??  WHEN did that happen?!?  

Despite the month flying by like crazy, I have to say, I'm feeling pretty good about where I'm at at this stage of "Christmas Prep Month".  I'm definitely ahead of the game in regards to getting ready for my favourite holiday of the year, at least compared to where I'm usually at on November 14th.

Here is what I've got done so far:
  • I DECORATED.  This was a big one for me.  I was always a late-November decorator, until the year I participated in the Christmas House Tour.  Decorating early that year was a necessity, as the tour falls on the first Monday of December.  I LOVED having my house decorated early, I wasn't sick of it by Christmas, and I've continued to do so every year since. I assembled the tree on Friday afternoon when I got home from work, and then Danica helped me decorate it on Saturday.  We also brought out all the decorations for the living room, my bedroom, and the bathrooms.  I did the dining room and kitchen on Sunday.  I still have a few things left to do, and I decided not to put up the dining room tree this year which saved me quite a chunk of work, but it feels good to be mostly done that task.  I just LOVE my house when it's decorated for Christmas!!

  • I've shopped.  On-line.  Probably a little too much.  Usually I wait until Black Friday to the bulk of my online shopping, but I've seen some screamin' deals already on my favourite websites, and jumped on them.  My immediate family is mostly taken care of now, I just need stocking stuffers, and a few other gifts I'm holding out for Black Friday.  My credit card is suffering, big time, but I have the rest of November and all of December to chip away at it.  If all goes well, I should be completely done by end of November, which feels great.  Now I just need the parcels to start arriving.  Stupid Canada Post strike has been driving me nuts when I check on a status of delivery and it says: "Delayed due to disruption in postal service". Grrr...
  • I ordered Christmas cards.  This was a first for me!!  As a single girl with no sweet engagement photos, wedding photos, maternity photos, or cute kid photos to share, I've always felt a little depressed sending out my generic old Christmas cards.  Boring!!!  But this year, an idea struck me for something original, and I went with it.  The cards arrived yesterday, and I'm so excited!!!
  • I took my car in for a tune-up.  My car will be 6 years old this coming January, and aside from oil changes and tire changes, I have done absolutely nothing to it.  There's an issue with my model of car with the transmission - I've received several letters from the company regarding warranty on the issue, and what to do if they car started acting up- and I was noticing a definitely problem with mine, so I wanted to get it checked, plus just a regular maintenance check.  As it turns out, my car is still in pretty great shape!  They checked all the fluids, changed the oil, put my winter tires on for me, and tested the transmission.  They did a computer re-set on the transmission, which they said solved that problem, and I'll need new tires in the spring because my summers are done.  I also need new rotors, but my brake pads are still good, so they're going to re-assess in the spring.  In any case, I expected there could be a LOT wrong that would cost me big money, but I was pleasantly surprised.  That was a big check off my list, because I hate dealing with that kind of thing and it makes me very anxious.  Like, almost ready to sign myself up for a husband just so he can deal with this crap. *sigh*  But I did it, it's done, and it feels good.
  • I got my flu shot.  I know, this is a little thing, and apparently in Quebec it's not even recommended for me (my age, health, etc) anymore, but I like the extra protection.  We all had to have flu shots when my dad's health was failing, to protect him, and I've got one ever since.  I've never been seriously ill during flu season.  While I was up in Shawville taking my car in yesterday, I got the flu shot too, killed two birds with one stone. CHECK!
  • I'm organized and prepared for the Christmas House Tour, for the most part.  Tickets are ready and I'm distributing them to be sold, I have collected door prizes and already have a great start on the Christmas basket that we sell tickets and have a draw on that night.  All coming together quite nicely!
  • I've already watched  some Christmas movies. LOL!  Danica and I watched Little Women and Santa Claus is Coming to Town on Saturday night after our decorating was done.  I have a million more to go, but it was so nice to have the tree lit up and relax and watch movies with her on Saturday night.  I just couldn't stop smiling.
Still to do:
  • As I mentioned, I want to be done shopping by the end of the month.  Fingers crossed that I can accomplish that, and it's looking good.
  • Christmas baking.  I have my list made for the Bulk Barn to get my baking supplies, which I'm hoping to get this weekend.  Then the Christmas baking can begin!
  • Go to the movies. There are SO many movies out right now that I want to see.  The Nutcracker, The Grinch, Bohemian Rhapsody... I know I won't likely get to see them all, but I'm hoping to get to the theatre for one this weekend.  It's the last quiet weekend between now and Christmas, so I want to take advantage of it!
  • Cut out snowflakes.  I said there were a few decorations that haven't been done yet, and one of them is my snowflakes that I cut out every year for the panes of glass in the door in my house.  It's a job I put off because it's tedious and I end up with a blister on my thumb from the scissors, but I like the final look of it. 
  • Finish decorating.  Put the garland on the banister, hang the snowflakes from the ceiling, and be done.
  • Prepare for our annual girls Christmas Potluck party.  We're having it November 24th at my place.  It's the earliest we've ever had it, but the consensus seemed to be that most wanted to have it before the hustle and bustle of December hits.  I'm OK with that!  My house will be ready, I'll just need to get some snacks prepared and get my gift for the exchange.
  • Finish crocheting.  Some of my gifts this year are crocheted items, and I'm ALMOST done.  I just have one blanket to finish, and I'm half-way done it. 
That's all I can think of right now, but needless to say, I'm pretty happy with the November progress so far!!  What's on your November To-Do list?  Are you checking things off and feeling good about it?

Happy Wednesday friends!!

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

I can help you get one movie crossed off your list! I am in the need of a movie date! You should so prepared for the upcoming season and now I feel the itch to go decorate because I am SO behind in comparison! ha ha!

Mrs. Match said...

As soon as our Thanksgiving is over, I'm right there with you. I'm usually the day after Thanksgiving decorator. As Piglet is school aged, he is even more excited than years past for holidays. We have so much fun getting the house ready for each one.
Your tree looks beautiful! A Christmas House Tour sounds really fun! I would love to do something like that.

Nicole said...

I need to see Little Women. Is it good? Is the book good? I had the book once upon a time but never read it. I feel like I need to.