Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Things I learned this Easter…

  • I knew I was getting annoying with my Lenten posts over the past six weeks.  I was consumed by it all, and had little else to talk about for forty days.  I was annoying even myself, truthfully.  But my family informed me on Good Friday that not only was it annoying; they had actually quit reading my blog altogether because they were so sick of it all.  And they also told me nobody else was reading my blog either because of it.  I have such a loving, supportive family.  (btw – I do promise that this will be the LAST post that makes mention of it. At least until Lent next year.)
  • When you give something BIG up for Lent, it really does add to the excitement and anticipation leading up to Easter Sunday.  Giving up sugar was by far the hardest thing I’ve ever given up.  By the time the weekend arrived, I was starting to look upon Easter Sunday with the same giddy anticipation as I do with Christmas.  It really did make it more fun.
  • Apparently my giddy-ness had SOME people asking, “How old is she again??”  And I make no apologies for my youthful excitement.  Young at heart, and proud of it, baby!!!
  • Waffles topped with fruit, whipped cream, and syrup are absolutely the best thing to have for Easter brunch when you’ve gone forty days without sugar.  (Thank you to John & Linda at Norway Bay Golf Course for making my “dream brunch come true”!!)
  • The excitement and anticipation is so all-consuming that you WILL buy too many chocolates and candy.  And you WILL bake too many treats.  And you WILL spend the next day wondering what the hell you are going to do with it all.

easter bark

  • I started the day off with a Reeses Peanut Butter Egg, which I brought with me to bed on Saturday night and left on my bedside table so that I could enjoy my first taste of chocolate of the day without even getting out of bed in the morning.  And I ended the day with another Peanut Butter Egg.  There were many many many treats in between, but I came to the conclusion that the Peanut Butter Egg is absolutely, hands-down, 100% my favourite.

egg in bed

  • A close second is the Lindor eggs.  All the rest?  I could probably take or leave.
  • Carrot Cake M&M’s are a little disappointing.
  • Hummingbird Cake is OK – but not nearly as magical and mystical and amazing as the Internet led me to believe.  And my family will probably never listen to my dessert recommendations ever again.

Boulder Locavore hummingbird cake 1813

  • Making Easter Bark and baking Easter cookies in the days leading up to the big day when you can’t taste-test or lick the bowl or nibble the dough is pure and debilitating self-torture.

easter baking

  • Too much sugar in one day will give you cankers.
  • When you put on your blog that you really wish the Easter Bunny would bring you a Lindt Gold Bunny, he actually listens… When I walked in to my mom’s house and saw him sitting on her table, I could help grinning from ear to ear!

gold-bunny-lindt_thumb[2]

  • After eating candy and chocolate from the moment you wake up til the moment you go to sleep, you’ll be OK with not seeing it all again for another 40 days…
  • After a weekend of over-indulging, and then a day chock-FULL of over-eating… do NOT, under ANY circumstance, step on the scales.  oy.

Hope you all had a fabulous Easter weekend!!!! :)

3 comments:

Nicole said...

I just hope you didn't make yourself sick!! I saw your bark on facebook. Looked good to me. So I can't eat cookie dough right now which is the worst, I can eat cookies, just not the dough because of the raw eggs. Blah! I've gone 9 months without that. lol. Okay not 9 months just yet, we're at 7. The other day I sorta licked a batter and thought oh crap!

VandyJ said...

Giddy excitement is worth it. I can't remember the last time I was giddy with excitement. I do get to watch two small boys get that way, oh about three or four times a week now though.

Stacie said...

It is hard to beat the peanut butter to chocolate ratio of a peanut butter egg. Glad you made it, you should be proud...and I was still reading even with all of the sugar talk.